Sunday, January 28, 2024

San Pedro river in Palominas

I got to the house by 8:50am.  I had a long day planned for the garage, but that was not to be.

Both Fritz and Gretchen were ready for their walk, but just as I was ready to walk fritz, Zana runs to the front.  Then Hansel, Gretel and Wolfie.  Shit, I had left the side gate inproperly latched.  At least the dogs waited for me to arrive for their breakout.

Corallng them took some time.  At least Fritz and Gretchen were tethered so I only had four dogs to focus on.  Luckily the four have good recall, so I placed them in the CR-V

But then Gretchen got loose and did her fence-fighting with Robbie and Maria's dogs a block away.  I don't blame her for breaking out, since she was tied up all night, and she was in no hurry to come back to me.  She eventually tired and let me take her back to the front yard for water.

Since all the back yard dogs were now in the front waiting for me, I decided to take Hansel, Gretel and Zana to the river for a romp.  I walked Wolfie around the 'hood before taking him to the back yard, pleased that he is easy to walk and calmer than a year ago. He still needs more training, though. I think he can grow into a calm and gentle dog.  All the more reason to get that new house built, so all the dogs have a safe back yard to romp in

I drove down to the Palominas trail head, let the dogs out, and then walked the wash to the river.  It was overcast and 58F at 11am; a beautiful winter day. But despite last week's rain, the river bed was dry and full of tumble weeds!  The only water was in small puddles in deep holes, water that cows probably peed in.


At least the dogs had fun.  Hansel and Zana hadn't been out for a run in months and they were taking advantage of their freedom.  I opted for a four-mile loop.  All three dogs stayed together and didn'r run off for long

I met an off-duty Border Patrol agent bow-hunting for deer.  I saw him hiding under a tree, dressed in camo gear.  We waved at each other to acknowledge our presence, but we didn't stop to talk until we were both on our return walk  moving in opposite directions.  His name is Eddie and is also a canine handler, so he knew what to do when all three dogs ran up to him.  He knows Daniel Bolin, a former hiking member, who's now in the Search and Rescue division

This walk took us two hours/  I drove back home, put Hansel and Gretel back in the back yard (they didn't fight me) and then drove with Zana into town.  The rest of the day went to her.  I had errands to do and she was my companion.

We went to Ace Hardware, then Filiberto's in Huachuca City (it opened two weeks ago), and stopped by Mr Shed to look at storage sheds.  On the way back home I took Zana to the dog park to see how she would react to other dogs, but her lunging at two curious GSDs was not a good sign.  What a shame, as she walks so well on leash and always looks up to me for approval. Our last stop was at Fry's for some raw meat, but there were no chicken legs avaialble


By the time I got back home it was approaching sunset.  I walked Zana, then Gretchen and Fritz one last time.  I did a lot of walking today and I felt it.  I tallied close to 14 miles.

While I got very litle done in the garage, I feel good that all six dogs got exercised this weekend.  I'm especially proud of Wolfie.  He's really coming around!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment