Monday, January 1, 2024

Miller Canyon trail to Miller Peak

Distance: 12.8 miles (Alltrails app)

Elevation: 3951' gain; Miller Peak 9467'

Significance: views and physical challenge 

This was actually supposed to be a 13-mile loop from Miller Canyon to Carr Peak back down Carr Canyon road to Comfort Springs back to our cars, all led by Ellen.  But at 6:04am she texted me saying she had trouble all night breathing and had to bow out.  She asked me if I could lead the hike.  I agreed, although I feared I'd be the slow one since I hadn't done a hard hike since last spring, before my injuries.

I was seven minutes late.  I walked Gretchen around the block and took Fritz with me, knowing this would be a challenging hike for him as well. In the last minute I panicked and forgot my backpack on the front gate, losing time for the scheduled meet-up of 7:30am.  

We were a group of four:  Dennis K (a passionate photographer), Debbie P, June W.  I didn't know the other two women.  We were on the trail by 7:47am, passing only one elderly gentleman early on.  It was chilly and breezy, 34F with wind-swept clouds.  I wore four layers to stay warm. I hate being cold.

The first third of this hike up Miller Canyon is the roughest part, specifically the second and third miles up the narrow canyon.  I had to stop multiple times to catch my breath, slowing the other three people.   They were able to chat the entire time. I doubted I could do the 13-mile loop, let alone reach Bath tub Springs on the Crest trail.  My lungs and legs were fighting me.

But somehow, luckily, I regained my strength.  "Miller Peak is only 4.5 miles away" I commented after we stopped for water at the 2-mile mark, along the dry Miller Creek.  We all agreed to think about changing our goal once we got to Bath tub springs.  We still had the hardest part of the hike ahead of us.

Fritz wore his new OllyDog backpack. I had it weighed down with one can of food in each pocket, a water bowl on one side and a bottle of water in the other. but he lost the bottle somewhere while running up a hillside. He was very intrigued by the smell of skunk. He chased two deer as we neared the tub, but came back quickly.  We rested in the sun by the tub to discuss our plans.  The sun felt good.  Fritz and I had a snack.  The others took off a layer of clothing.  I never did.


Debbie brought her rubber ducky "Sunny"for some photos.  Sunny accompanies her on all her hikes. Would we return to our cars now, or continue to Miller?  We were at 8551' elevation now.  Miller is at 9467'

Dennis said he'd go with me to Miller.  I wanted to hike to Miller to get a peak in for the new year, and resume my monthly peak-bagging.  Elevation training is what keeps me conditioned, and I seriously lacked that last year.  I need to get back into shape!  "We can always turn back" said Dennis, if weather conditions got too brutal.  The wind was howling at the tub.  We were only two miles away from the peak...what an opportunity to bag it! 


After some discussion, both women agreed to "hike just a little bit more" with us.  One mile along the Crest Trail and a mile of easy hiking at a level grade, then sitting on a big boulder with views of Carr Peak, they both agreed to make it to the peak.  It was only a mile away!


We were now all back to a regular stride, staying close.  We passed the two notorious wind gaps, but the wind wasn't as bad as predicted.  Nor was the wind bad at all once we made it to the peak at 12:10pm.  


What an accomplishment!  We all felt relieved to have made it to Miller!  We had all doubted our abilities to make it today, but by god, we did!  Even Fritz charged forward, but definitely slowed down from fatigue.  This was Debbie's first hike up Miller Peak via this route from Miller Canyon.  It was strange to hike the peak in January with no snow anywhere, or water in the creek.  I hope this does not bode badly for the rest of the year.


The clouds now were high cirrus, streaking across the sky with artful wisps.  We took a group photo, Sunny posed for a few more, then we descended at 12:35pm as the wind picked up.  "It's all downhill from here!" I said, stopping only for quick water breaks.


We rested briefly on the big boulder we had stopped briefly on going up to the peak.  A young couple passed us going where we had just left.  We would make it back to the cars by 3:30pm as Ellen had planned,  Debbie noted that we were three women in our 60s hiking together. (Dennis is the lone Millennial)

Fritz was now tired but didn't whine.  He stayed close to me the rest of the way.  He didn't react when we passed a lone man hiking up Miller Canyon, nor a family of three near the orchard,

We made it back to our cars at 3:40pm.  I tracked 11.4 miles, the others 12.8. We would have gotten back sooner if I hadn't delayed the group by 20 minutes, but by now we were just glad to have made this difficult hike.  The Miller canyon trail is not an easy hike, even for better conditioned hikers.  But what a way to welcome in the new year!  The last time I did this hike route was in 2020 with Sadie and Zeke, and they were on my mind today as well.

Fritz and I were both tired once we got home.  Gretchen was glad to have us back.  I was too tired to walk her a second time, and hopped into the RV with Fritz and Gretchen.  I listened to the news (Japan suffered a 7.5 earthquake) and fell asleep fast.  So did Fritz.  He didn't move again until just after midnight, when a gentle rain that had been forecasted for late Monday, woke me up.  He did so well today with the group.





No comments:

Post a Comment