Friday, July 14, 2023

Ramsey Preserve

I had my first rehab appointment today at 1015.  My gripping strength in my left hand is a mere 3%, compared to 60% in my right hand.  I have some work to do!

After my appointment I had a quick lunch at Angelika's German Deli.  I hadn't been there since 2008.  It was on my list of all restaurants I still hadn't visited.  Going there is like a flashback to 1970s Germany.  Food is good, but the decor needs serious updating.


On my way home I saw dark clouds over the mountains.  I spontaneously decided to check out Ramsey Preserve and explore the trail that Susan, Lori and I didn't have time to explore on Monday, like the Bledsoe Loop.  I was only the 4th car in the parking lot.  It's an easy walk with a slight uphill (617 feet).

I decided to go as far as I could before the storm.  But the storm never came.  I had the entire trail to myself!

There's definitely a lot to see in the Preserve if you take time to read all the informational plaques. Besides the mining and homesteading history, the Preserve is actively trying to preserve the native Chiricahua Leopard frog, a frog whose habitat is being taken over by the non-native Eastern bullfrog.  The Coronado National Forest has  drained ponds here that were deemed infested by the bullfrog.  Those frogs are then killed.



I went as far as I could before it became too technical.  Alas, it never did.  I was in a lush narrow canyon, with a cool breeze.  Water trickled down the creek.I turned around when the trail ended, just a little over a mile from the visitor's center.  What a place for peace and solitude!

There were quite a few more vehicles in the parking lot when I got back to the parking lot an hour later, and any dark clouds overhead had moved on.




No comments:

Post a Comment