Monday, July 10, 2023

Ramsey Preserve and Shady Glenn

I joined Susan and Lori on a short and humid hike into Ramsey Preserve this morning.  It was Lori's 68th birthday.

We met at 8am.  The parking lot opens at that time and there are only 23 spaces.  We didn't think it would fill up due to the 52% humidity.  And boy, did we feel it!


Ramsey Preserve is a must-see for first-timers to the area.  It's popular with birders and photographers.  The best time to come is late spring and early fall for the birds, deer, turkeys, coatamundi and javelina that use the canyon as their home.   I only visit perhaps once a year, since dogs are not allowed in the canyon, and usually to access the Hamburg trail.



We met a large group visiting from southern Illinois and Ohio.  Later we came across some Germans.



We took the access trail to the Hamburg trail into the National Forest,  then took an unmarked trail that follows Ramsey Creek.  Susan had never been to the box canyon.  It was Lori's first visit back there.


It was so much cooler in the shade along the water.  We all were in our element.  Water was flowing and we could hear the birds.  It was so much cooler by the creek, but I couldn't stay long because I had an appointment on Fort Huachuca to get my new ID card.  My last ID card was destroyed in the house fire 18 months ago.  Yes, I procrastinate... I finally feel whole again.


I stayed on post to eat at Jeannie's Diner.  I was last there with my mother 18 years ago.


We had our first real monsoon rains in the afternoon.  I was still on post when it began to rain, and it continued gently for an hour, into the late afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment