Monday, July 3, 2023

Checking out the river

 I got up at 6am to take Hansel, Gretel and Sahne to the Lehner kill site area to walk the Williams fire burn area, now three months ago. All three deserved one more chance to run free  before going back to the back yard.


They couldn't wait to bust out of the Honda! Sahne followed Hansel, but Gretel stayed near me. We were on the trail by 6:19am.  Gretel acted very reserved, followig me quietly.  I hope she is ok.


I was surprised to see more new growth.  The closer we got to the river, the greener it was.  Mormon tea is growing near the river, in the sunshine!  And silverleaf nightshade is prevalent along the norther loop. Along the river hardier shrubs are now coming out


The river itself is very low, but still flowing, and enough to refresh the dogs.

We walked the loop going north, first along the river and then on the trail,  It was 7am and still cool and breezy.  We spooked a couple of Great Horned Owls that were along thr river bank, enjoying the water.


This is a 2.6-mile loop, a perfect distance for the dogs to get some running in.  They chased eight deer that had been watching us, but all three came back without me having to call out their names.


This quick loop took just over an hour.  We stopped at McD's for my iced coffee.  Each dog got a sausage biscuit.  Sahne ate Gretel's.  Then I drove home and walked Gretchen and Fritz for a mile loop each before the heat set in.  The monsoon is late this year, and no sign of it coming, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment