Sunday, April 9, 2023

The Bisbee 1000 route

I haven't done this loop since November 2019! 
 
This was BillK's idea. He texted me yesterday and asked if I wanted to do it. I was working in the garden yesterday, and then on my truck replacing the battery, but I made some time for this morning. I always enjoy walking the streets of Bisbee.
I walked Fritz and Gretchen around the block after sunrise before tethering them up.  Gretchen and I came across our first (dead) rattlesnake of the season, right off South Circle S Road.  It was a young Diamondback with its head flattened.  I moved it off the road.  It must have been killed earlier in the morning.
 
Bill came by at 7:30am to pick Hansel and me up.  We drove in his KIA to the trailhead in Bisbee, at the official start by the Ironman statue. 
 
We started at 8:15am to 66F but it warmed up ten degrees by the time we were finished 2:45 hours later It was Easter Sunday, but some of the main eateries were open as we walked by. 

The route was changed slightly last year, so we did that detour at stairs #2.  This added a bit to the old route, as my Strava said we walked exactly five miles. I think the detour was to avoid the fragile retaining wall along  the old route. 

The town was in bloom! The route quickly turned into a sauntering photo shoot. I will only post unique shots today, as just about all the main sights in town have been featured in my blog over the years.

We chatted with a few locals along the way.  Even the official Bisbee 1000 muralist, Ms Judy Perry, whose hillside house is right off the stair climb at stairs #5, was out in her garden.  We also met Jim, a well-known anti-Republican, and NicoleM, who used to teach middle school science in town but who now works on Fort Huachuca as a contractor.  She is much happier there and making enough money to pay her medical bills.

We never took a break for water, but I felt dehydrated in the end.  Even Hansel looked exhausted even though I let him jump into the town's drainage as we left Moon Canyon.

Lots of people were out walking their dogs, or just walking to enjoy the spring fragrances.

I did notice new artwork along the route, especially new murals by Jules Muck.  She's a professional muralist from Venice, CA!!!  I will post some of the work I found here.  Also, a new mural by Jennifer Gonzalez, who has many nice murals in Tucson, is now coming to Bisbee!

The Old Bisbee Brewery was closed for Easter, so instead of a few beers to refresh ourselves, we simply went back home.  Bill and I promised to do this loop more often again.  He, too, likes to stop and take photos.

Hansel took a nice long nap when I got home in the early afternoon.  A few hours later I was out walking again, this time with Fritz and Gretchen to check out the burn area of last Monday's Willians fire.  I'll write about that walk next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment