Sunday, April 2, 2023

Hansel and Gretel along the San Pedro River, north of the SP House


I had a busy day today dealing with dogs and garden work. 
 
I was up early to walk all the current front-yard dogs: Fritz, Gretchen, Hansel and Sweetie before I had to take Hansel and Gretel to Sit Means Sit for their annual recertification in snake avoidance training. It was a pleasantly warm morning, finally. 
 
I always dread opening the front door to the house because all the dogs try to push themselves out the door. I don't always get the dog I want, but this time it worked perfectly: Gretel ran out first. Gretel was excited to get her chance for freedom. 

The recertification took a mere minutes. Both dogs showed aversion with the Diamondback 25 feet away. That was all the trainer needed to see and I was able to leave. 

I took both dogs on a quick three-mile route north of the San Pedro house: walking north on the old maintenance road to the wash and from there east to the river. The grass everywhere was dry, and the footpath along the river crushed down from all the migrant traffic. No wildflowers. At least there was plenty of flowing water. 

My destination was the choke point a half mile north of the wash. Old snags here along the banks make walking any further nearly impossible without fighting thickets. This was our turn-around point. We walked back to the CRV from there. 

It was a warm day that prompted me to get more gardening in, even stomping in the rest of the no-dig fence sections and going to Lowe's to get five more fence sections. I worked on the garden until past sunset. Hansel and Gretel slept in the truck again.

I like knowing I got some work around the house done and the dogs walked, but there is still so much work left on the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment