Saturday, April 15, 2023

Brown Canyon to Leonard's Cave


This hike was hosted by WardS of the Huachuca Hiking Club. The write-up sounded interesting, so I joined in with Hansel. The trailhead was the Brown Canyon trail at the ranch house.

However, I timed my departure wrong and arrived at the trailhead almost ten minutes late. The group had already left. I recognized a few cars in the parking area. In my rush I left my pack in the truck, too, so that meant I had no water on me. I figured I'd catch up to the group.
I had Hansel on leash while on this trail. He pulled hard the first two miles; perhaps because he smelled familiar scents? He pulled even harder right before the two-mile mark at the horse trough, where the assembled group was taking a break and SteveA was prepping his camera for  a group shot.
The large group quickly broke off into ability groups once we left the trough. I stayed in the rear to keep Hansel from bothering others, but once we got off the trail to start bushwhacking, I took him off the leash because of the steep, uneven terrain. 
It was a pretty Canyon, though. During the monsoon water runs through here, we walked past several small pools and damp areas.

We also came across migrant trash. 

I wore a flannel shirt over my hiking shirt and I'm glad I did. The  higher we climbed, the more narrow the canyon became and the cooler it got.


I felt better energized today than last time I hiked with the group, despite not eating breakfast again. We all had to watch our footing because of the many snags and rocks along the way.Getting injured in this canyon would be a nightmare for everyone involved.

Several people turned around. Karen had another appointment at noon. SteveA and JohnS also turned around. I was running low on energy and just wanted to make it to the cave. We seemed to keep on going and going.

We turned left into a side canyon where the elusive cave was, but the guides had trouble finding it. We had to loop around a ravine before spotting the small hole,  and my big butt would surely get me stuck trying to crawl inside. JimS and An Ye made it inside easily.



I told Doug that most Hoosiers would have trouble squeezing through the opening. I looked inside the cave, but the damp floor and the many gnats just outside the cave  kept me safely outside it
 
The group took their lunch break. A kind hiker gave me half of a P&J  sandwich and some water, but once  done with the snacks, we resumed our return hike the way we came.

Tom enjoyed looking at rocks. They were all 'cool!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment