Saturday, April 22, 2023

Bob Thompson Peak


This is another hike I looked forward to.  It's not a long hike, but the five miles out-and-back will kick butt.  You gain 1882' in elevation by the time you reach the high point. https://www.strava.com/dashboard?num_entries=50


DougB from the Huachuca Hiking Club led this hike.  Meetup time was 7am in town, but I emailed him saying I'll go straight to the trail head since I'm only five miles from there.  I also told him I'd hike on ahead for a head start, as I may otherwise slow down the group.  This head start also allows Hansel to run off some energy without bothering others.

 
   

That was a good decision.  I started the hike just before 7am.  It was 54F. I got to the saddle in 52 minutes.  This was no PR! I was at least five minutes slower than the last time I  did this.  We hiked up the switchback in the cool shade, then waited for the rest of the group to join us.  

I could see the group on the trail, at least 30 minutes behind me. I was curious to see who'd be the first one to the saddle.  I waited and chilled, but Hansel whined because he was getting restless


And then they came! An Ye breezed up first without a sweat; SteveS and KarenF were the next to reach the saddle.  Then came BiilC,  JohnS and WardS, MilesB and then DougB.  We were now a group of eight.  JohnS turned around at the saddle.  We rested a bit before taking on the mountain from the north side.


Once we left the saddle to hike up the peak, we were officially on National Monument property (according to my track), but there were no signs indicating that. We followed a faint footpath at times littered with migrant trash.  I found a Diez Pesos coin from Mexico (56 cents worth) as we scrambled up the first steep rock cliff.  Empty Electrolite plastic bottles were scattered along the way.  I also saw some nice quartz crystals.


The route is challenging because it borders on steep, loose ground on the north slope, but it wasn't as treacherous as I remember from the last time I did this route in early 2019 with Zeke.  I stayed in the rear so that Hansel wouldn't get in the way, but he had no trouble scrambling up the boulders.


It's 2.5 miles to the top.  The group rested here for a snack.  The peak is dry, with no wildflowers in bloom. I rested under the same oak tree from last time, near where Steve and Karen were.  We then hiked back down the way we came.





It was in the low 70s when we finished.  I didn't take off my mustard-colored sweatshirt until I got back to the truck.  Doug, Miles and An Ye left and I followed.  it was just past 11:30am.




I stopped by the Tombstone Brewing Company with Hansel.  We sat on the dog-friendly patio, where I saw three other dogs in the hour I was there sipping a Pils and a Rauchbier (dark lager)  I was impressed with how many people were here both on the patio and in the dining area.

No comments:

Post a Comment