Sunday, April 23, 2023

Bisbee 1000

 Yesterday's hike up Bob Thompson Peak didn't tire me out as I thought it would for today.  I met BillK at 6am in Old Bisbee by the Ironman statue. Our goal was to walk faster and we did!.  Even though we still stopped to chat with the few people up early, we managed to shave 45 minutes from last week's time.



It was a cool 54F at the start.  Two hours later it was already in the 70s.  While it was painful to get up at 4am to walk Gretchen and Fritz, this early time start helped keep Hansel cool.  He showed no heat exhaustion this time. The added bonus was seeing the sun rise over the Mule mountains as I drove into town.




The streets were empty the first hour.  Was everyone sleeping off a hangover?  Bill said the "Funky Finds Fling Festival 21-22 April brought in quite a crowd this weekend.  It must have gotten wild, as we found a used dildo on the street along the route! That crowd must have left town early last night as the streets were calm.





We walked the same route as last week.  There were a few dog walkers out early, but nothing as usual. I kept Hansel on leash only through the main streets.  He enjoyed his freedom and stayed close.



The early hour dulled some of the color, but we both liked the mostly-cool temperature.  We met one gal from Texas, Petra, renting out the old toll house, and we saw a few locals sitting out smoking, but the tourist crowd didn't come to life until just before we departed shortly after 8am.



I stayed in town to have a toasted plain bagel with Swiss cheese and a hazelnut cappuccino at the Bisbee Coffee Co.  That was my staple when I lived in California. By now the streets were alive with courious tourists.





I stopped for another half mile along the Hereford Bridge on my way home.  The Williams fire burned the gate entrance, but most of the west bank here was spared damage. Hansel got one more dip in the river before heading home.


No comments:

Post a Comment