Friday, July 29, 2022

Tucson's 4th Avenue and Sweetwater Preserve

Today was a Tucson run that was long overdue.  My front yard is looking too much like a junk yard.  The back of the truck doesn't hold nearly as much stuff as I always hope it would.

It was hot and muggy in the morning and that slowed me down.  I didn't even get to Steve's until after 12:30pm.  This delay actually was to our benefit, though.

Our drives into Tucson usually include a stop at a brewpub and/or a walk or hike somewhere.  I hadn't planned anything concrete, but a walk somewhere is always welcome if the weather is mild.


I eventually suggested walking down 4th Avenue near the university.  That used to be the one place I enjoyed visiting when we first moved to Arizona, until I discovered other parts of town.  Steve had never been with me along 4th Avenue and this was a good opportunity to see what businesses are new here and which ones have closed.


It was 90F at 3pm and I was hungry.  We stopped at Magpie's where the daily feature, an 8-inch Four-Cheese pizza was a mere $6, and a cheap lunch.  Dogs are also allowed on the patio.  I just needed something to carry me over as I hadn't eaten yet.


Clouds started forming as we continued our walk south on 4th Avenue.  We walked past O'Malley's, The Hut, The Sky Bar, Brooklyn-style Pizza, The Shanty, Mr Heads, St Charles Taven and a few more smaller Greek and Mexican places I've yet to try.


We turned around right before "The Tunnel," a downtown underpass.  Ermano's Bar is here, across the street from the Dillinger brewpub.  I had always wanted to try Ermano's, but always thought dogs were not allowed.  It turns out that they are allowed on the back patio, which requires one to walk around the block to get to the back entrance.


We made Ermano's our beer stop.  Our server was friendly and very attentive.  There were a few beers that looked appetizing to me, but I opted for a local Hefeweizen by Puebla Vida and a wheatbeer by La Cumbra brewing.  We sat among the misters, which added a foggy ambiance until an employee turned them off for us just in time for a powerful downpour that quickly flooded the ground around us.




We moved over to the corner of the patio, the last of the dry spots.  The rain didn't last long and we stayed for a second round.  It was now cooler and more invigorating and I suggested trying a short trail at the Sweetwater Preserve, ten miles north off I-10.  I had never been there and the weather felt ideal for a late afternoon walk before heading home.  This would also allow the Friday rush hour to subside /


Steve agreed, but he didn't tell me he felt slightly buzzed at the start of the walk. He had had three beers and I had my usual two.


The Sweetwater Preserve is an 880-acre park on the eastern slopes of the Tucson mountains, bordering the Saguaro National Park West where dogs are not allowed.  Upscale homes abut this park.  Standard desert flora abound here: saguaros, cholla, Apache plumes, creosote and catclaw.  The park is open from dawn to dusk.  There is no fee to use the trails.


It was just before 6pm.  We could do a three-mile loop before dark.  We ended up doing a loop comprising several short trails:  the Saguaro Vista, Lost Arrow, Spine and Wildflower trails Loop which All Trails lists as an easy  2.5 miles with an elevation gain of only 209 feet. There were desert views in all directions.


I enjoyed this loop.  We had just enough remaining sunlight to see the Catalina mountains to the north light up in a golden hue. There was still lightning to our north and dark clouds over the peaks, but we were safe of any more rain.  A slight aroma of creosote filled the air.


It took us an hour to walk this loop.  People were still driving into the parking lot to start their route, but we were now ready to start our drive home.  The rush hour traffic had subsided and we had an easy drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment