Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Brown Canyon with Gretchen

My last time in this canyon was last March when Erin came to visit.  Susan, SteveT and Holly joined us and we made it to the hidden falls and back. That was around four miles.  I took it easy on Erin because she lives at 830' and Brown Canyon is more at between 5400'- 5600'. 

This was my last big chance for a mid-week morning hike with Gretchen. Today I wanted to take her on the perimeter trail (about five miles) to see how the creek and drainages were running.  We started at 6:50am with just a few cars in the parking lot. I figured this would be just over five miles, when the side trail explorations are included.

The green everywhere was a feast for the eyes.

I first took the path to the Brown Ranch, then turned southeast to check out the duck pond.  The pond wasn't very high at all, and the trails all around were not muddy at all.


Gretchen stayed on leash for the entirety.  The only time I let the leash loose was when we were off the main trail and exploring faded side trails.  She took advantage of my liberties and chased things (birds, squirrels?) but would come back.  This was her first time in the canyon and was probably curious about all the smells.


There were few people on this trail despite the near-ideal weather. It was cloudy and cool and in the upper 60s.  I past an elderly couple near the ranch, then two young men who planned on making it to Carr Peak (a 16-mile loop via the Hamburg and Crest trails), a lone man and a mountain biker.


The lower drainages were damp, but lacking flowing water.  The trails weren't muddy, either. I didn't see any running water until I got past the old carcass, a rusty vehicle standing abandoned off the old road that once went through the canyon.

I let Gretchen drink from the trough, running nicely and looking clean.  She was off leash here and was not about to listen to me right away.  She wanted to explore!


I saw few wildflowers as well, much to my surprise.  What I did see was a lush, green desert forest coming to life.

I wanted to explore a little-known side trail that Rod from the hiking club had mentioned years ago.  This trail diverts from the old road near the homes close to the paved road, goes over two hills, and descends near the parking lot.  With more land off the road now going to private land owners, I want to see where that road is and start taking it from now on.


I found a faint trail off a fence line that looked like it went up hill to the high peaks behind the homes.  I had Gretchen up front who stayed close, sniffing out the trail. This trail may have been made more  by migrants passing through, as I did come across sun-baked backpacks and water-worn hats.  I wanted to see where this trail went.


But Gretchen had other plans. A deer peeked behind a tree as we neared the first saddle.  Oh no, I thought.  I saw the deer first, but Gretchen quickly caught on and took chase, with her leash dragging behind.  Great, I thought.  I stopped right there, under the shade of an oak tree facing the west and the homes below, but no signs of the dog.  I called several times to no avail.


I heard dogs barking below, but she didn't come up the hill after I called her.  Against my better judgment, I continued my hike uphill and down the side, heading toward the road, still calling her name.  Shr e was nowhere to be found.


I  didn't bring a backpack since there was enough water for her, but now I was getting thirsty stopping and calling her name and waiting for a response.  It was slowly getting warmer and the clouds above the peaks looking menacing.

I walked back to the parking lot feeling defeated.  Gretchen has taken off before, forcing me to stop my walk and wait on her.  She always came back.  But the dark clouds and my thirst forced me to go on.

She was not at the car.  I drove back to the old Brown Canyon road, but it's a private road for residents only.  I called her name a few more times, then turned around to get ready to drive home.

And there she was, right off the paved road along the side of the road.  From a distance she looked like a dark deer, with her tall, skinny profile.  The car in front of me stopped for her, but she backed away.  She didn't recognize the sound of the Honda CR-V when I drove by, slowing down to call her name. That's when she noticed, and she happily jumped into the car, showing signs of exhaustion, thirst and hunger.

I stopped by Speedway gas ($4.39/gallon) for two hot dogs --one for her-- and iced coffee.  I went straight home feeling a bit tired from the sun, but managed to help Susan install a temporary fence in my driveway, to prepare my dogs  to stay outside while I'm back in school next week.

Even Susan said I looked tired when she came by around 12:30pm.  She has installed field fencing before and showed me how it's done.  It's not that difficult.  As tiny as she is, she can pound in those stakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment