Friday, July 22, 2022

The muddy San Pedro River

I didn't feel like walking far with Gretchen at sunrise, and I'm glad I only walked three miles because  Susan called me at 8:30am asking if I were interested in walking the dogs along  the river. I hadn't been along this part of the river in months and wanted to see how our recent rains have greened up the area.


And boy, what a green jungle it is!  My eyes were feasting on all the hues of green.  The grasses are lush.  The flora is dense and tall.  It was only once we got to the river that we could see the damage from recent flash floods.  While I didn't see any new downed trees, there were freshly-eroded banks, puddles along the trail, and very muddy sections that even the dogs had trouble with.  I needed a walking stick to maintain my balance as it was very slick walking.


We didn't walk far, though. We turned around at the 0.65-mile mark, sooner than we had in the past.  Susan didn't want to tax Allie much.  My dogs didn't mind, though, as it was getting warm now.  It took us 1:15 hours to walk this route.  We were home by 11am.


A slow-moving storm was moving toward us. The sky started getting dark again by 4pm.  I walked the dogs around the block, and walked them a second time at 8:20pm, just as it began to drizzle lightly. The drizzle prompted me to walk faster and I'm glad I did, as it began to rain harder when I got back to the RV.  By 10:40pm the rain became a steady downpour that lasted until 2am.


No comments:

Post a Comment