Monday, July 26, 2021

Lunch with Eric in Tempe

It was a cool 66F when I awoke, the coldest overnight temperature on this road trip.  It felt so good!  I got on the road before sunrise.  Sunrise wasn't dramatic anyway with all the rain clouds still overhead.

The desert west of Grants had flash flooding overnight.  I'm glad I stayed out of that, but in the morning I saw the wet desert, flood and water markings in the sand.  Desert sage ane d sand stone buttes were the dominant landscape.  The dramatic clouds added a beauty to this desolate place; I had forgotten how beautiful this part of New Mexico is.  I haven't been back since my 2009 stay with Sadie; I really should get back.

I stopped at an old rock shop off I-40.  There was no one there and it was perhaps abandoned.  A "closed: sign hung from the front door.  Samples of petrified wood were for the taking.  Plastic dinosaurs and classic cars added to the horizon.  I let the pups run free here to pee.

They enjoyed this run in the soft, wet sand.  They didn't want to come back when I called for them.  I could have easily driven off and abandoned them and they wouldn't have known.  That was not my intention, but Sheba's constant stubbornness is grating on me.  Sahne comes when I call for her, but then hesitates when she sees her sister still running around exploring her world.

I turned off the interstate at Holbrook, taking AZ377, then AZ277 and then gassed up south of Heber-Overgaard.  This was high pine country.  I don't think I've ever been here.  I made an ass out of myself when I drove off from the gas station with the gas nozzle still in my tank.  The tube luckily popped out without any damage, but one guy who saw my mishap ran off as if expecting an explosion.  Was I still very sleep deprived to not think clearly?  The clerk ran off and wasn't angry, just adding that she will need to call a technician to remount the gas nozzle.  I'm sure I made lots of friends at that gas station. 

Highway 260 is beautiful here.  I was driving in low fog clouds as I approached the Mongollon Rim rail and the General Crook trail, a 138-mile trail that Crook used on mules.  The eastern terminus is right off the highway here.  I wanted to walk a mile of this trail, but it was too muddy from the overnight rain.  Campers were  in the dispersed sites and one lone woman was running six miles of it to train for a marathon.

The dogs enjoyed the water along the trail.   Sahne even got dangerously close to the edge when she hopped down one ledge.  These pups have no fear! I walked out 3/4 mile before turning around.  I was at 7000' elevation and it was 60F.  What a great day for a hike, but I still had 136 miles on winding, curving roads.  

Highway 260 took me to Payson.  Here I turned off at AZ87.  This took me through the Four Peaks Wilderness which showed off fresh damage from the wild fires last year.  This year the forest was closed by the governor to prevent another fire in the area. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-wildfires/2020/06/17/arizonas-bush-fire-now-size-mesa/3205835001/  I stopped briefly in the drizzle to walk part of the Ballentine trail, and to change my clothes into something more appealing for my lunch date with Eric.  I've yet to hike in the Four Peaks Wilderness.

It was cool and overcast when I got to Gilbert's OHSO brewery.  Temperatures also got warmer and more humid.  I opted not to take the pups inside the brewery because they have proven to be assholes around other dogs lately.  I stayed in the brewpub longer than expected, but they survived their time in the car in the shade.

I got to OHSO right at 11am and the place was already crowded.  Who drinks beer that early?  Well, my question was answered quickly:  OHSO serves a weekend breakfast-brunch that includes one pint of beer or a mimosa.   They open at 9am on weekends for this. A lot of people seem to like that!

Eric and Margarit came in at noon.  I had already ordered a hummusboard as an appetizer, but ruined it when I spilled my glass of water over it. I also had a BBQ chicken sandwich with a Bob Hefe.  Eric had chicken waffles and Margarit had towered pancakes coated with Fruity Pebbles.  I was hungry as I hadn't eaten since my late meal at Cane's in Amarillo.

Eric's been out of the air force for two weeks and already sporting a think beard.  How did he manage that? 

"I started growing my beard three weeks before getting out.  No one noticed because we had to wear face masks!"  He then continued "What would they have done to me?  Write me up a week before getting out?" Beard aside, Eric's looking happier and healthier now, albeit sleep deprived.  He still has sleeping issues he had years ago when he lived with Kevin and me.

We had a lot to talk about, but that will wait for future visits.  I just wanted to see him and welcome him and his wife to Arizona.  They are already liking the lower prices on everything, from gasoline (from $4.50 in Fairfield, CA to $3.25 in Phoenix) to rent and food.  So many new California emigrants feel the same way.

An hour later I was on my drive home, stopping to walk another mile around the Gilbert Water Preserve, a developed trail network around three ponds.  Again the dogs were being assholes.  Sheba even got out of her collar to attack another dog.  By now I had had it with their aggression.  

My last stop for the day was at the Tucson Costco, where I gassed up for $2.64/gallon, the cheapest on my road trip.  I stopped by to drop off the beer I got Steve; we chatted for a bit while the two hellion dogs stayed in my Honda because they wanted to harass Trace.

I was home by 8:30pm.  I had driven 5078.2 miles since leaving my driveway on July 8th, 2453.4 miles was from the return drive.  Again I was attacked by more dogs: Hansel, Gretel, Fritz, Wolfie, Gretchen all came to the fence to welcome me.  Sadie and Minnie and Zeke followed.  Then everyone fought over who would sleep by my side in the bed later on.

I enjoyed my conversation with Kevin, who seemed more relaxed for not having to deal with Sheba and Sahne for three weeks.  Gretel is getting spayed on Tuesday and I have appointments for Fritz and Wolfie to get neutered on August 3rd.  Fritz has gotten so big in the last three weeks, he's outgrown his collar.

Today was an active day with several short hikes, cool weather, and spending time with Eric.  But now that I've driven through northern New Mexico again, feel a need to take time to explore the area around Grants again.  My friends are telling me to stop in El Morro National Monument, which is near the Malpais National Monument.  Dogs are allowed in both places.  I already know there are at least two good breweries nearby!  Best to do it in the fall.


https://www.nps.gov/elmo/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/elma/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm





No comments:

Post a Comment