Friday, July 9, 2021

Driving across the Great Boring Plains

Today was another day of driving interstate routes and getting mileage in.  No specific hikes were planned.

I got up at sunrise and left Amarillo to drive to Groom, TX, a farming community on the east side of town.  I just wanted to walk the dogs, but little did I know that the biting flies were out.  It was 6:34am and no one was up yet.  There wasn't much to see in Groom besides small farm homes, silos, backyard dogs and farming equipment.

The drive from Amarillo to Fort Smith is a boring stretch I always dread, especially in the humid summer. I do like the historic downtown area near the old fort, which is now a National Park.  Dogs are allowed on the trail that follows the Arkansas river.  I stopped in town long enough to walk a few miles with the dogs, but then I drove on, avoiding all beer bars or restaurants.    I wanted to get as far east as I safely could.

The I-44 interstate across Arkansas is a scenic one,  flanked on either side by tall, wide trees. There isn't much to see between Fort Smith and North Little Rock, and I wanted another stop in Little Rock.  The merging of multiple lanes in North Little is confusing to the new comer.  Add construction and bumpy roads and I nearly gave up entirely until I pulled into a McDonalds to order a meal for the pups and me.

This franchise was just off a frontage road to I-40.  I walked around the dark area, let the dogs pee, then had to hold both of them back when they spotted two juvenile raccoons taunting them from a low tree branch.  I drove on after this stop and made it just north of the Missouri state line on I-55 in Sikeston, MO.  This was another day of nearly 800 miles. 

                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment