Saturday, July 24, 2021

Santa Rosa and Grants, NM

I must have been exhausted as I fell asleep sitting upright and woke up refreshed to a cool sunrise.  My goal was to get as far west as I could.  I haven't been getting the mileage in when compared to my drive to Indiana, but I have been enjoying the stops to hike and taste good local brew.

I was on the interstate by 8am and just drove and drove.  I didn't do the usual stops along Route 66 until I got to Santa Rosa.  I could do the lake perimeter trail along Santa Rosa Lake, I thought, but instead found a small city park with easy access to the El Rito creek.  The pups appreciated this water break.  A paved path led south along the creek to a larger pond with cordoned-off ropes for public swimming.  I saw cars and small RVs here; where was the entrance?  I saw a sign for SHOWERS and was interested in one, but the crowds and admission fee was a turn off.  I also didn't want my barky dogs to ruin it for everyone else

The pups appreciated this water break.  A paved path led south along the creek to a larger pond with cordoned-off ropes for public swimming.  I saw cars and small RVs here; where was the entrance?  I saw a sign for SHOWERS and was interested in one, but the crowds and admission fee was a turn off.  I also didn't want my barky dogs to ruin it for everyone else and opted to save my shower for Kirtland Air Force base.  I will note this stop for future short walks with dogs.  The Big Hole, a natural deep swimming hole with 62F water is nearby, but divers pay $15 admission AND $10 to park.

My next stop was in Albuquerque at the family camp to shower.  I didn't stop anywhere else.  It was now early afternoon and was hoping to make it to Holbrook for the night, but skies were filling up fast with storm clouds.

I didn't walk much today.  Storms developed and I hit a downpour east of Grants, NM.  I have fond memories of my hike with Sadie up Mount Taylor in 2009.  It was our last big hike before that final push back home and we celebrated with a hotel room.  Now  there are two breweries on the west side of town, both easily accessed off I-140.  I visited both.

My first stop was at the Junkyard Brewery off Route 66.  It still looks like a junkyard from the outside.    This appears to be a local favorite, as at least six native-looking men were at the bar telling war stories.  I felt like I was interrupting a conversation when I walked in, grabbed a table in the rear of the room, opened up my Chromebook to recharge it and my phone, and then walked to the bar to order a Pinon pine lager.  

The beer tasted better than expected, with a caramel finish.  I sat here and enjoyed the localness of this place.  Tables were made from classic car grills and tables were weighted down with car wheel wells.  All the beers had car names.   Beers were served in plastic cups. The larger room also had a few classic Corvettes that Susan would have appreciated.

I then stopped at the Elkins Brewery on the south side of I-40 https://www.elkinsbrewing.com/.  This place is new and has an upscale feel to it, especially after coming from the Junkyard Brewery.  I was immediately welcomed by the barkeeper, Joe, who is a Mescalero Apache.  He was entertaining a table of five who clearly already had sampled quite a few beers, but Joe's talent was that he engaged with everyone who came in.  He asked me for my name and then remembered it.  I had a flight of four beers, then had a Honey ale and stayed awhile to let the rain pass.

Joe made this visit memorable. What a natural-born storyteller! Born and raised in Grants, he only left once in 1971.

"Why did you leave?" I asked

"I was drafted" he said, and then told me stories about his years as a Special Forces sniper both in Vietnam and in Central America in the late 1970s.  If his stories are to be believed, he should write a book, but may have to leave out the classified information.

The area was already flooded from recent rains and more rain was in the forecast.  

I should have camped out in Grants for the night, but felt I was too far away from Phoenix to be able to meet my son Eric in Tempe for lunch tomorrow.  More rain fell as I left, so I made the first big truck stop west of Grants my stop for the night.  So did a good thousand other drivers, as this place was packed with cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment