Monday, July 12, 2021

Chesapeake-Ohio Greenway in Merrillville, IN

Day 6, 071321 Tuesday

I didn't want to leave the hotel room
Light drizzle in morning
Got to Carol's home by 10, met Hank
Dropped off stool sample at Coyne vet clinic
Shopped at Costco
Visited Carol from 2-6

Checked out the C-O Greenway, a short linear paved path traveling NW to SE for 1.7 miles. Built by NIPSCO and is one of the newer paths between a country club and driving range on its northwest terminus.  I started this off IN55 and the Innsbruck Country Club. There are no signs marking the trail. One simply needs to know it's there. The path ends/starts at 73rd Ave and Broadway in Merrillville, my dad's old neighborhood.

According to Traillinks.com, "The second phase of the trail will extend it farther southeast, under I-65, to Mississippi Street, which will connect the trail to a popular shopping area. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2015. Long-range plans also include extending the trail at its other (northwest) end to the town of Griffith, which would link it to the Oak Savannah Trail and Erie Lackawanna Trail."  

I have walked these two trails on previous visits and can now add this short trail to my collection of NWI railtrails.  This one, however, feels incomplete and I hope the extensions can be made as so far there has been no sign of this trail getting extended.



Had to walk fast since it was early evening, but the damn biting flies were horrific. Even the dogs were suffering. Glad I got this short trail done as I don't know when I'll be in the area again.



No comments:

Post a Comment