Sunday, March 18, 2018

Vaccine clinic

I had driven 1440 miles to the California coast and back and hiked 48 miles over spring break.  It's hard to maintain that activity now that I'm back in school.  I feel great, though, and want to maintain my fitness level, perhaps hike up Thompson ridge on a weekly basis, do some speed walking, maybe attempt short runs.

Today was not a busy day, though.  I did my usual morning reviews, then took Sadie and Zeke to the twice-monthly vaccine clinic at Tractor Supply Company in Sierra Vista, contracted with PetVet out of California.  I like their services and prices.  Zeke was overdue on his 5 in 1 pack and both needed their rattlesnake vaccine.  This year I'm skipping the flu shot and instead had both tested for heartworm since I was in California for a few days.  Minnie and Sweetie will get their shots during the next clinic in mid April.

I got to the vaccine clinic at 2:30pm and was the last in line.  An older couple in front of me had their AKC Rough Collies, siblings Kacey and Maggie, 7-years-old, in for their annual shots.   That's a breed I've always enjoyed, but you don't see too many of them these days.  "The 1960s TV show 'Lassie' made the breed popular," said the elderly Mr. Healy as he cuddled with Kacey, "but they sure do shed!" His wife Ann, next to him, quietly nodded her head in agreement.

A young German Shepherd pup was in the front getting his shots, and as usual with the breed, it howled with dramatic flair.  Sadie barked back as the pup left with its mom.  A young dad with his two daughters came in to get their two shepherd-Husky pups vaccinated.  People came and left without much ado.

The crowd was well-behaved and quiet.  I even bought some vegetable plants to place in the ground when it warms up for real. I spent $187 on the dogs alone.

And at 5:30pm I took the dogs out for a 3.2-mile walk along the ATV trail off Avenida Saracino.  The Forest Service has now filled up the lower stockpond with water, which makes it easier for the dogs to get to.  Naturally, they wanted to dive into it as we walked past. I just wanted to get the walk done as quickly as possible.

Thus ended my spring break. Back to school tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment