Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Hidden social trails between Carr and Ramsey Canyons

It took me three days to fully recover from Saturday's hike.  I'm pretty sure my affliction was dehydration and not arthritis as my ankles weren't hurting.  I simply had no energy.  On Sunday, after laying horizontal in bed for most of the day,  I took the pack in my truck up West Hunter Canyon to hike up to the springs and back.  I barely managed 1.6 miles, stopping frequently to rest.  I didn't stay long once we got to the springs: I let the dogs drink and then turned around.

On Monday I felt a little better and doubled the distance to 3.2 miles, around ATV trails near the FS maintenance shed.

On Tuesday, Sadie's 10th birthday, I took the dogs to the Carr Canyon picnic area to hike some social trails into Ramsey Canyon.  There was no one at the picnic area as we took off on the unnamed trail that begins here.  This trail climbs gently up to a ridge before descending back into Ramsey.  Old trails used to go high and drop down into the preserve, but I'm told the property is now gated and locked.  I wanted to find that old trail, but to no avail.  We ended up staying low in the canyon, turning around at a barbed wire fence with Private Property on it.

This area used to be heavily littered.  I'd come across so many backpacks, shoes, cans, personal hygiene items along the base of the reef.  The hillside used to look like a garbage dump. I only saw a smattering today.

This is a secluded little area.  The hillsides are covered with manzanitas, scrub oaks, agave.   The tough terrain make it ideal for illegal border crossers to hide from
overhead helicopters. Lots of quartz as well dot the ground.

We came to what looked like an old dirt path that took us back to Carr Canyon Road.  We crossed the road, followed the creek and took the creek back to the picnic area where I had parked the truck, completing a three-mile loop.   We never came across another person.  Normally the picnic area has visitors in the afternoon.  I plan on exploring that old ATV trail next time.  Is this the trail that could take me high, rather than low, across the ridge and into Ramsey?

No comments:

Post a Comment