Saturday, March 24, 2018

Crazy, stormy weather



High winds were forecasted for today, but it didn't really begin to howl until late in the morning.  By then I was hunkered in bed, finishing another book review.  I kept telling Kevin I'd be leaving "soon" for the All About Animals event in town, an annual event hosted by the Greater Sierra Vista Kennel Club.  It was scheduled for 9am-3pm.  I missed it the previous two years, but was there for the first event which sponsored dog agility, working, herding, jumping events, dog adoptions, dog training, etc.  The best part for me the first time was talking with other dog owners and taking photos of humans and animals interacting.

I didn't leave the house until 12:45pm, in perhaps the windiest part of the day.  My truck was shaking as I drove north on SR92.  I saw a full-sized pickup lose three barrels of hay just south of Ramsey Canyon Road: wind had picked them up and threw them across the road.  Luckily the hay missed my truck!

Skies were looking dark to the east.  When I got to the Veteran's Memorial Park parking lot, cars were leaving.  I ended up catching about ten minutes of people holding on to tents, people tearing tents down, putting animals back in their crates and vehicles, and people holding on to their hats.  The various animal shelters were told by the county sheriff to shut down early because of the incoming storm.  The event was supposed to last until 3pm and it was practically over by 1pm.  I should have come three hours earlier! I caught several workers from the Huachuca City animal shelter where I volunteered over three years ago.  They had two older GSDs for adoption, Tom and Jerry, two older dogs that had been at the shelter for three weeks.  Both dogs looked uncomfortable in the undersized crates.

I stopped at the grocery store briefly. The rain began as I drove back home.  Poor Zeke was with me and hoping for some exercise.  I promised him a walk after the winds died down later.  My phone registered winds as strong as 37 mph.  By 3pm that had died down to 24, and by 4:30pm it was a tolerable 13mph with the rain having moved east toward El Paso.

That gave me just enough time to hike up Thompson Ridge, my three-mile r/t, 1056' elevation gain switchback.  The ridge sits at 6740.' I took all four dogs.  The road was surprisingly dry (no mud!) and the winds were minimal.  I had just enough time to do this hill without pushing it before sunset.

The overcast sky was ideal for the dogs, especially Minnie who easily tires in the heat.  I made it to the ridge in 40 minutes and then sat there for another five, taking photos and watching the storm clouds over the peaks.  Winds weren't too bad where I sat.  I didn't see another soul, but I didn't expect a normal person to want to venture up in weather like this.  Even the dogs seemed to enjoy the views, as they took turns gazing into the distance.

I know they enjoy these little hikes in the wilderness.  Perhaps my friends are right when they tell me that my dogs are lucky to have me as their mom because I take them places.  Hiking with them, therefore, was one goal I achieved today;  the day wasn't a total waste.  Weather tomorrow is supposed to be cool but sunny and Steve and I are going to do a foothills romp in the Santa Ritas.  That's another lovely area I enjoy walking around in.
The sky opened up nicely on the short drive back home and I got to see a beautiful color display toward the Dragoon Mountains from Hereford Road.

Ellen participated in the "Dawn to Dusk" bike ride in Tucson today and told me winds and rains never got as bad as they did in our little corner of the state.  Steve was also in Tucson looking at RVs with his friend Kel.  Hope they had a safe drive back to Sierra Vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment