Friday, March 30, 2018

Hog Canyon to El Pilar (Santa Rita foothills)

Distance: 2.7 miles
Elevation gain: 410'
Significance: spiral rock formations, watering holes
Trailhead: unmarked.  Take SR 82 west of Sonoita, turn on Hog Canyon road, a dirt road.  Stay to the left on FR 627.  Road takes as general southwest direction.  Pass corral with two barbed-wire gate 200' apart.  FR 627 is now FR4088.  Continue on this until you see another barbed wire fence and Mt Wrightson in front of you.  Park here and take trail down into Adobe Canyon.  Trail meets with northern turn-around of Adobe Canyon Road.

Rod led a hike a few years ago to El Pilar from Gardner Canyon Road.  I enjoyed that hike so much, I've been wanting to go back there via a shorter route.  Rod led this hike in January and today I finally repeated it.  Hog Canyon is the most direct trail to the water oasis.  Steve and I agreed to get together after Zeke's 9:15am appointment for a Lyme's test at the Sierra Animal Hospital.

Today Dr. Rufle was my DVM.  He's an older gentleman.  He told me that a blood panel would determine if Zeke has Lyme's disease.  The $181 blood test showed he did not.  That's a relief!  His liver tested borderline low, which Rufle said was also good.  My only concern is Zeke's weight of 63 pounds.  He weighed 60.3 two weeks ago, but perhaps there was a discrepancy between the two scales.

I made it to Steve's place by 10:30am.  We didn't get going right away, and we should have, because it only got warmer as the day went on.  The drive to west Sonoita takes 90 minutes, plus the four miles on dirt forest road once in Hog Canyon (off SR82).  I'm glad I photographed Rod's trip report from the last El Pilar hike, as I'd have forgotten turning on  FR627 and then FR4088.

Hog canyon is a popular quail hunting and ATV area.

When we got out of the truck to start our immediate descent into the canyon at 12:30pm, Steve stood back and asked to stop to enjoy the view.  "This is quite beautiful."  Mount Wrightston stares right at you from this location at the unmarked trailhead.  With some rain comes more color and then this view is breathtaking.


The descent is exposed, loose rock and at times steep.  Despite the mere 2.7 miles we did today, it sure did feel longer.  The heat got us all, dogs included, right away.  Zeke didn't even want to get out of the truck, and once on the trail, ran to any shade he could find.

The trail descended to the northern end of Adobe canyon and the dirt road.  I could see the rock spirals unique to El Pilar so we walked toward it.  And I was right!  We got to the El Pilar ladder, with the shade and water for the dogs.  This was another great rest for us.  At one time this was a dam, one of several along Adobe creek.

We were alone here with our two dogs.  Both clearly enjoyed the water.  Hikers can climb up the ladder and walk the rocky creekbed farther, but we had to turn around here.  We had gone only one mile!

On the return hike, I saw a patch of fresh green elms in a side canyon and told Steve I wanted to explore that.  Those trees were the landmark for the El Pilar tanks, another water oasis.    Here again, we rested.  The only wildflowers on this hike were here.

Since we had the dogs and couldn't make a loop hike like the others in January did, we simply went back the way we came.  It made for a strange route.  On a cool, overcast day this would be a lovely hike, but we were both a little overheated from the exposed 75F temperature.  The fascinating, unusual rock formations here are quite intriguing.

Now I at least know how to get to these watering holes.  I will come back and explore it some more when it's not quite so hot.  Adobe creek farther north has deep watering holes were turtle hide out.


This hike took us 2:40 hours.  Elevation gain was just 410'.

We stopped again in the Copper Brothel Brewery.  We each had two beers but skipped a meal.  We both kept talking about how long it took us to walk the mere 2.7 miles.

On my way home I saw a near full moon rise.  The full moon is tomorrow.

Shortly after coming home I developed an intense headache that lasted well into next morning.  I'm sure I was severely dehydrated.





No comments:

Post a Comment