Friday, January 4, 2013

School break's almost over...what else to do?

The dogs have enjoyed time with me this Christmas break but school's back in session on Monday. I didn't do as much as I had planned hiking wise; I stayed local and didn't spend much money.

The dogs are getting used to their jaunts up in the mountains. All they have to do is hear me jingle the keys and they race to the door, jumping over each other.

So today I did much of the same around the house. It got mild during the day but once the sun set it got downright chilly again. It was 4:20pm before I made it out to the mountains for an hour. All dogs rode with me and all jumped out of the car in the end in Hunter Canyon.

Now that I wrote my feelings about the target shooters invading that canyon, I feel relieved of my secret. I have to learn to tolerate the noise. And I have to be patient. Rather than spend it near the springs, I have to learn to drive elsewhere along the road for the dogs to romp.

Today I spent some time at the West Hunter canyon trailhead. Snow there is slowly melting and revealing more spent brass casings. The dogs run around, sniff and frolic. For the two older dogs this is as good as it gets

The big damage in the area was from young paintballers who had left quite a few blue, green and yellow balls around. Trees were splattered in color. At least that stuff fades away

Tomorrow I visit the Huachuca City Animal Shelter for some volunteer training. I hope being there doesn't disappoint me like it did in Bisbee. One of the German women won't be able to make it now that one of her own cats got a serious URI. I was hoping to chat with her again. She's hilarious and a passionate cat person.

And Sunday I am heading out to the Tortolita Mountains north of Tucson. Weather should be in the upper 60s one last time before the next storm comes in on Monday. I have never been to the Tortolita Mountains. I have to figure out which dog to bring with me. I think Sadie and Minnie are due their time in the mountains again.

No comments:

Post a Comment