Saturday, January 19, 2013

Another Saturday at the shelter


Things are slowly moving along at the shelter. Today Carol, Denise, Eric and I were there. Carol and Denise went through the shed while Eric and I walked 11 dogs. One dog was on the RTE list--"Request to Euthanize" list, an 11-year-old Springer with allegedly terminal cancer and sad eyes. Denise, who is a vet tech, said she couldn't feel the tumors but did say she felt fatty pads under her belly, neck and back. She still walked well and didn't look to be in obvious pain. We let her walk around the shelter so she could pee and get some exercise. She will be killed Tuesday morning when Scott is back and does the dirty work. I don't understand how pet owners can drop off their aging pet at an animal shelter to be killed. I know when it's Sara's turn to cross that bridge I'll be making the same decision about euthanasia, but it won't be through the animal shelter. Sara will die in my arms with me thanking her for all those great years together.

Eric and I walked the dogs only a half-mile each because of the many dogs we had. A young family came by to look at the last remaining pup but left not adopting any dog. The boxer was labeled as unfit around small kids and the kids seemed scared around the puppy.

I didn't give Topaz the attention she needs, either. She whimpered with joy to see me and wanted my attention. I just had so much to do, though. She got her walk and she's doing better around other dogs now, especially boys. I really, really hope she finds a home. It's not easy placing a senior dog but she's still very youthful.

The other young shepherd mix is still there, spastic as ever. She played around in the yard with Dixie but didn't get walked. I hope these two girls find homes, too.

One of the male pit bulls that was picked up by its owner for running freely was dropped off again today. I recognized the brown and white markings. He's a mellow dog and I'm sure he's confused about why he's back.
There was another new female pitbull cowering in her kennel. She backed away from me and growled when I reached into her kennel to walk her. So I decided not to walk her. Hopefully she'll be more calmed down the next time I drop by on Wednesday. She was owner-surrendered because she chases livestock (but gets along with dogs and cats)
Weather today was mild, thankfully, but almost too warm. Neither Denise nor Carol wanted to go to Ray's afterwards so after I stopped by PetSmart to see more dogs I treated Eric to a nice lunch in town at La Casita, Sierra Vista's oldest Mexican restaurant. It's perhaps the best sit-down, full-service Mexican place in town. The lunch menu from 11-4pm is quite affordable.

We got home around 2:30pm with Kevin making ham-pea soup. That's when he told me that Sadie had another mild epileptic seizure, the first one in three weeks. She seemed fine afterwards and luckily she didn't have any more today. "She seemed scared about what was going on" Kevin said. It's the pain an animal feels that upsets me the most. Now I'm back to being extra worried about her.

I spent the rest of the day editing photos and placing them on Petfinder, my new chore for the shelter. The hardest part is writing good bios on the dogs. Every dog there deserves a good and honest write-up.
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AZ205.html

No comments:

Post a Comment