Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A shot-up forest



The snow that fell Monday is slowly melting in the forest. The lower roads are mostly clear but muddy from the melt. I drove the dogs back to Ash Canyon this afternoon for a quick romp. This time all the dogs got some good exercise. Even Sara got out a bit to sniff around.

I should have left the house earlier than 3pm. The chilled air in the shade felt invigorating. My first stop was in Hunter Canyon but that place was overrun with target shooters and obviously not a safe place to romp with the dogs. But Ash Canyon was no better. We had some solitude near the old Ash canyon trailhead until a target shooter drove up. "Friendly dogs you have there!" he said to me as I was walking back to the truck. I waved back and agreed. My dogs ARE friendly. Most of the time.


What disconcerted me as I drove through Lutz and Ash canyons are the many new target shooting areas that have become littered with shot-up dead trees, left-over home appliances, broken glass and aluminum in areas that just a few years ago, pre-fire, were still pristine and full of life. It's as if target shooters feel, since so much of the forest has burned in this area, that they have the right to destroy what's left. They bring in their unwanted stuff to shoot up and then leave it behind. Dumpsites are sprouting up where once peaceful primitive campsites were.

Some of these areas were once favorite camping spots for snowbirds coming down for weeks from Nebraska, Oregon and other northern areas. I'd occassionally talk to these campers and chat about the beautiful wilderness here, and about how much the greater Sierra Vista area offers the outdoor recreationist. They no longer come out here to camp since so much of the camping sites have burned over. Who wants to spend their winters camped under a canopy of blackened trees? Who wants to listen to target shooters 24/7?

And it's not target shooters alone that are littering our forests. Hikers, hunters, prospectors and campers do their share of the damage as well. I always pick up cans and bottles on the trail if there's room in my backpack. I'm a staunch supporter of "leave no trace."

Now I know that target shooting in national forests is allowed and I'm not saying we need laws to ban target shooting. I live in Arizona where owning guns is a passion. Kevin target shoots but he's a responsible target shooter who picks up after himself (and others!). He's a damn good marksman because he practices his passion. But I also know there is a thing called common sense in the shooting world. Shooting is allowed on National Forest System Land providing

It does not create a public hazard or serve as a direct threat to public safety.
It does not damage or destroy natural features such as plants, historic features or property.
It does not create litter; refuse accumulation and abandoned personal property.
It does not violate an existing restriction or closure.

I have errands to run tomorrow, but if I have time I want to visit the local USFS office in town and ask about their policies on target shooting in our forest. The USFS has to be aware of what is going on here but they aren't doing anything. When this trash and target shooting gets so out of hand that tourists complain, the USFS will then cry that they are understaffed, and are going to ask for volunteers to clean up the trash left behind by others. That is how everything gets done here: through the hard work by dedicated volunteers.

The cold air after sunset felt good and I should have come into the forest sooner for the exercise. All the dogs got a nice run today, but the health of Sammy and Sara also concern me. Both dogs are now having a hard time jumping into the truck for the ride into the mountains. Sara has had problems jumping up for some time now, but today even Sammy looked hesitant about getting back into the truck for the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment