Sunday, January 27, 2013

Busy day at the shelter


Yesterday morning I woke up before sunrise to hear a steady rain. I was happy for the rain as we need the moisture, but walking dogs in the rain is no fun, especially if the dogs pull and are strong.

I didn't need to worry, though. The rain stopped by 8am and when I got to the shelter there were two extra volunteers there. We had five walkers for 13 animals. We spent more time letting the dogs run around the backyard and letting them play than walking individual dogs, and that is OK.

There were two adoptions earlier in the week. The brindle pit and white pit both found homes. Topaz had been adopted out Wednesday but was returned Friday because the wife thought she was too big. Topaz is a German Shepherd Dog, not a chihuahua! Poor girl is back in confinement, but she was happy to see me again. I gave her a walk and petted her, but once again she had to stay in her kennel while the other dogs played. I'll try to stop by the shelter mid-week just to spend time with Topaz, walk her and talk gently to her.

"You're the only one Topaz likes!" said the ACO. Maybe because I give her attention?

One dog, Ginger, a Golden Retriever-X was adopted out, but a new dog, a medium-haired Golden Retriever-Heeler, was dropped off, scared as all get-out. She's five years old; I hope that is not too old to rehome. She's a product of divorce.

With so many people around we were done within two hours. A few more couples came by to see the animals and then we left at 12:40pm. Robin, Carol, Denise and I had lunch at Ray's and took the time to talk about upcoming fundraisers.

I'm really liking this group. We have a lot of compassionate community members and a lot of talent. I like everyone. I hope to stick with this group as long as possible. If I feel burn-out, I'll just back away and take a breather.


So far there has been a steady turn-over of animals. We are even adopting out nice pitbulls. I hope the German shepherd dogs we have also find homes. That younger gal is spastic and barks incessantly. I hope that's because she'd rather run outside and play with the other dogs. No dog right now is pending being killed for lack of space, but puppy season is still ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment