Friday, January 1, 2010

A walk down to the Border (the San Pedro River Trail)













I'm out on the border, I'm walkin the line
Don't you tell me 'bout your law and order
I'm try'n to change this water to wine...
(The Eagles' "On the Border")

Kevin came back home on the 30th, exhausted from the airport ordeal at O'Hare. He went right to sleep but promised me a hike to the border. I took him down the San Pedro River Trail east of Palominas going south, where I hiked last year with the dogs, to show him the results of the "7Billion Dollar Fence." I chose this trail because it's level, it's easy and it gives him a direct view of the steel fence. This is the most southern terminus of the San Pedro River Trail, a 40-mile trail that is managed by the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area and the Bureau of Land Management. Ironically though, the actual river is no where close to this trail and makes for a very hot, exposed and dry trail.

It is, however, a relaxing way to become familiar with the new fence. There is surveillance euqipment along this stretch and one feels one is being obsrved 24/7 along the way. Any bad guys wanting to come across from Mexico would use the more concealed river route a good half-mile to the west to get across, so I'd say this is a pretty safe way to see the border.

The wide trail reminds one, though, that vehicles can use this area if need be, like local hunters who live nearby.

Even Kevin called this fence "an eye-sore" but it's a necessary eye-sore. It doesn't prevent illegal immigration, but it does slow it down, and I've noticed a big slowing-down of border apprehensions in the past year. Less illegal traffic means less trash to clutter the wilderness.

This "trail" is nothing but a dirt road leading south to the International Border, passing ranch homes and hunting hide-outs for local sportsmen. It's not really a scenic hike, but in this cooler weather it's a nice winter hike. It was in the upper 50s with a slight southwesterly breeze when we finally took off for this hike at 10:30am.

The dogs enjoyed the solitude with "Dad" who hadn't hiked with me all year, at least not a decent hike. "I want to get some exercise" was Kevin's excuse this time. I was just glad he was OUT in nature with me. Will he continue this for 2010? I'm not going t hold my breath. I will, however, enjoy the time he is with me out in nature.

The nearly 4-mile one-way hike took us 1:40 minutes, stopping only to give the dogs water and to chat briefly with a local land owner who was driving her full-sized pick-up up and down the road looking for a bow-hunter she had dropped off. The hunter was unsuccessful, as we spotted two deer later on as we walked back.

All three dogs were excited about being at the border, but frustrated as well because south of the steel fence was a calf looking right at them. The dogs ran up and down along the fence looking for a hole to squeeze under to get to the other side and "herd" the animal. Sara whimpered in frustration, Sammy barked, and Sadie just followed her two older packmates in total confusion. To her, the running seemed like a fun thing to do, nothing more.

The fence didn't look any different from the previous year when I walked this stretch last November (2008). My only notice is that the border road that the USBP now use to patrol the area is now longer, wider and stretched west into the Huachuca mountains.

We stood at this border for a good 30 minutes. I snacked on my leftover trail pretzels, Kevin smoked (as usual) and the dogs took a rest after they realized the cow in Sonora was a hopeless cause: it wasn't going anywhere and there was no way for them to get to it. Ravens and other winter-loving prairie birds of the Southwest flittered nearby, but there was no sign of life otherwise.

We were back at the truck by 3pm, and back home by 3:30pm. The dogs rested and continued to feast on the remaining deer bones. Now that "Dad" is back, they have two people they can cuddle and protect, and "Dad" also means real food scraps like beef fat. Kevin made a delicious pot roast for New Year's Eve, and both of us were "out" before 11pm. I never saw the broadcast of the New York Times Square Ball dropping, nor did I care to watch it, and wasn't too surprised this morning to wake up and realize that the world had not come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment