Sunday, January 3, 2010

Hitting the trail to Oregon?

My recent obsession with the American Civil War has kept me up late at night going over an on-line free Yale course with Prof David Blight called "The American Civil War and Reconstruction." It's a detailed and fascinating 27-plus hour audio/video lesson I have been going over for 2-3 hours a day. I found it by chance googling "American History podcasts" to download on my iPod. It's the best free educational course I've ever done. I even try to read Prof Blight's reading assignments from other books as well. What a wealth of information that man is. There are a few other free on-line Yale courses that intrigue me...

So it's no surprise that I woke up this morning with the tune of "Battle Cry of Freedom" in my head. (The Union version, of course) But somehow, between "rally from the hillside" and "gather from the plain" I had visions of Oregon. Yes, I decided, Oregon was going to be this summer's road trip: from the coastal hills to its eastern desert and all its mountains and craters in between, I want to see Oregon!

My time this summer will be limited this time, though. I could do three weeks in May or take that at the end of the July. I'm not sure I'm going to take any summer courses this time, but if I do, those three weeks are my only open times. I will fly out to see Ethan earlier in the spring, perhaps during my spring break.

Kevin told me a few days ago that he lost his accumulated vacation time when the new company took over the contract last month, and this last trip to Boston depleted his vacation money and his desire for another road trip soon. It's not going to stop me.

So...now it's time to start planning places to check out. I have two friends in central California that I want to see again, and perhaps Jill's family in Eugene, OR. Historical sites like the Lewis and Clark route (always fascinating to me anywhere in any state) and the entire Columbia Gorge, natural sites and brew pubs will once again be the main goal. And if I can sneak in a day here and there into Idaho I'd be even more delighted. (The Hell's Canyon Wilderness is another potential area to explore) Time and weather will be the two important factor for me as to what I can see and do.

This idea of Oregon came to me in a vision today. I don't know why; it's not like I dreamed of riding a Conestoga across the high plains of Idaho to get to Oregon, nor does Oregon play a major role in the Civil War. However, talking to Bill Bens and listening to my US history instructor last fall talk about mountaineering in Oregon's Cascade Range during his summer breaks surely must have helped in my dreams.

Whatever. I've never been to Oregon and now I have my work cut out for me. There is so much to see and do in that part of the country! I've already ordered my Oregon Benchmark Gazetteer (best reference for the hiker/camper/history buff) and Foghorn Trail Guide for Oregon. If the Foghorn-Oregon guide is as good as my old Foghorn California guide (the guide I used exclusively while living in California) then I won't need any other guide.

1 comment:

  1. Oregon weather is typically better in July than May.

    ReplyDelete