Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

A dream weekend would have been spending two days in Canyon de Chelly. But when the time came Kevin wasn't interested, I had assignments to work on, and the weather was iffy at best. We did get some rains over the weekend, but not enough to make a difference in our two-inch rain deficit for this summer.

So, the long weekend consisted of reading up on Edward Abbey for a paper the istructor wants me to work on, studying for the American History exam this Thursday, and getting my thoughts organized for an English paper. I didn't do much else and neither did Kevin.

I did manage to get away for an hour here and there into the foothills with the dogs, an event they always look forward to. Yesterday I took them up Ash Canyon. I hadn't been up there since April! The creek was trickling but there was no other life there. The dogs ran the entire three-mile trail for a decent work-out.

Both Eric and Katie are going to be visiting us this fall. Katie, Kevin's youngest daughter, is flying out sometime in October for two weeks. He will take a week off to take her on a state-wide roadtrip in the van, and the second week she's staying local here. I hope to take her to more local sites, to include Tucson.

"What's there in Tucson?" Kevin asked.
Duh. "There's the campus, 4th Avenue, the mountains? I could take her up to Mount Lemmon for the views alone!" I love that drive. And in October the fall colors should be spectacular.

I am not sure when Eric is coming. He's more like me, traveling on a whim. He is (and has been planning) a roadtrip with two band members to California, stopping in Colorado Springs, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and here along the way. He's only giving himself two weeks, though, which just isn't enough for an enjoyable roadtrip. If all the bandmates come along, this house is going to be crowded!

Little Apache Kitty has really bonded with me this weekend. He knows his name and comes when he calls. I carry him around with me whenever I can so that he doesn't get roughhandled by the dogs. He's slept with me every night sofar and seems to have gotten used to the dogs. Unfortunately, twice last night he pooped on my blanket, so I still have to teach him where the catbox is so that he stops shitting on me! The little guy's already taking a great liking to raw and cooked chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment