Thursday, September 10, 2009

Carr Peak this weekend?

I had originally scheduled a six-mile hike up Carr Peak for this Saturday, my annual pilgrimage up this local peak. The hike goes through the Southwest's most southern grove of quaking aspens. Last year I took people up this peak in October but by then the colors were past their prime. This year, because of the dry and warm nighttime temperatures so far, none of the deciduous trees have changed colors yet. But perhaps the alpine wildflowers will still be in bloom?

Rain is now forecasted for this weekend, what the meteorologists are now saying is the last rain for the monsoon season. I don't mind rain but rain here in the Huachuas also mean storms in the peaks. I am not going to lead people up into the peaks during a storm! I'll still show up at the 8am meet-up time and go from there. If no one shows up I'll just take Sadie up the illegal trail I go to several times a year just to pick up trash the illegals leave behind.

Apache Kitty is doing fine. He shows no fear toward the dogs. Sadie, however, thinks the kitten is a play toy like her tennis balls and I've had to remind her to take her mouth off of Apache's head a few times already. The little guy's fur is often wet with dog slobber. Sara also shows an interest in the kitten but I don't think it's a friendly interest. When I leave the house for class I put Apache in my bathroom for safekeeping. "Protective custody" says Kevin. It's going to be a few more months before Apache is old and strong enough to defend himself. A swipe across Sadie's nose with his claws should remind Sadie that cats are a force to be reckoned with.

Apache's learning where the cat box is, thank goodness. I've only had that one night of bedtime accidents with that cat.

Reina, the aging mother cat, continues to be aggressive toward Apache. Vinnie, too hisses at him. Neither cat is happy about sharing their food with the new kitten. Apache, too, growls at them at feeding time.

This aggression from Reina toward Apache means the little guy isn't getting the usual attention he would be getting from his mother and he's seeking it instead from me. When I brought Vinnie home last year Reina was the protective mother cat, attacking the dogs if they came too close to Vinnie. Toward Apache, though, she shows no interest whatsoever. She doesn't even lick him or let him come close to her despite his attempts to cuddle.

I pet him instead, I stroke him, I rub his little belly and he now responds with kitten purrs and contentment. He hates being placed in "protective custody" when I leave the house and meows uncontrollably until he falls asleep on his fleece blanket. For right now he's sleeping on my lap as I write this. When I get up I carry him with me around the house, but only for short walks here and there. When I leave for the garden he goes into the bathroom and out of sight of the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment