Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bouncing tennis balls, school work and a new kitten




Sadie really loves her tennis balls. A few days ago she woke me up by throwing a soggy tennis ball on my face at 4:30am. She was awake and ready to play!

School work has kept me busy this semester. All four classes want a research paper from me. One class wants three. That's a lot of reading, filing, citing. Ugh. And I am not getting out in my mountains much.

This morning I drove to Bisbee to drop off my plastics and paper at the recycling plant, which is right across from the animal shelter. I stopped at the shelter out of curiosity and immediately fell in love with a Siamese-mix kitten, Apache Kid. What a cutie. I took him home on the spot. The little guy cuddled in my lap during the entire drive home. Even Sadie seems to like him and Sara watches out for him. Dogs and cats, after some butt-sniffing and a few muffled hisses, are getting along.

As for Kevin, well, I simply told him that Apache reminded me of him: short, fat and handsome. How could I resist such a pretty face? I know I needed another cat like I needed a penis on my forehead, but I also wanted to give a kitten a new chance on life. This is kitten season, and shelters across the country are overflowing with puppies and kittens.

"In a few years Apache is going to need a playmate, and its name will be Hopi. Another playmate will be named Zuni..." I told him excitedly. I could tell that
Kevin was thrilled. Reina is now over 12 years old and suffering from hyperthyroidism; I don't think she will live much longer as despite her being on medication (Tapizole) she sleeps a lot and her fur looks dull. The medication hs kept her from vomitting every day, but she's still bony.

No comments:

Post a Comment