Sunday, September 20, 2009

Colonel Bill

I have written about Bill in my other blog. He is a 76-year-old retired army colonel who hikes, cycles and travels the world. He had been so busy traveling this past year to places like Antarctica, Africa and China that it had been a year since we chatted over beer. He has been my mentor since we met several years ago through the hiking club; he doesn't let age get in the way of his dreams and is physically fit enough to do things most 40-year-olds cringe at doing.

Friday, however, we finally met again. It was at Applebee's, a place Kevin and I go to about twice a month now that the local franchise brought back some of its old microbrews. I worked nearby at the middle school Friday for a math teacher, and afterwards Kevin and I agreed to meet at our old watering hole. I was already in town and getting together was an excuse to make up for Tuesday when I had to decline meeting him there because of a reading assignment.

I walked into Applebee's at 3:30pm. I walked toward the bar, looked around. I recognized several regulars but did not see Bill, so I sat down at two vacant bar tools. Bill had seen me--he had been partially obscured by the beer handles across the U-shaped bar--and had come over to hug me like old times.

"BILL!" I exclaimed. He smiled. We hugged and together we sat down at his bar stool. I ordered my usual Blue Moon (the only microbrew Applebee's now sells) and an order of boneless buffalo wings.

We had a lot to catch up on. I wanted all the details to his travels, but Bill has never been one to talk much about his adventures. He's a man who experiences so much yet talks so little. What a shame. But one trip he did talk about was his two-week car-camp trip to Idaho this past August with the hiking club. It's a trip I would have gladly gone along on if it weren't for school and other requirements. For the second year in a row the hiking group has traveled to the Northwest in August.

"That place is beautiful" said Bill, a statement that needs no affirmation. Visions of the Bitterroots came to mind, although the group was more toward Devil's Canyon this year. "I wouldn't mind going back there next year!"

"I want to go!" I replied. "If only you guys plan the trip in July instead of August, I could go."

And when Kevin finally arrived 15 minutes later, we continued the conversation about Idaho-Montana.

"I would love to come along, too" he added. By next summer, minus the week he is taking off to spend time with his daughter Katie when she gets here next month, we will have two weeks saved time together. I would forfeit summer school if I can spend time in Idaho or Montana with him.

The three of us sat at the bar until 4:30pm when Bill had to leave to pick up his dogs from the groomer. We hugged one more time and off he was, not to be seen again until the next time we meet by chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment