Saturday, July 4, 2009

Hyalite Lake




I regress. I didn't leave Bozeman far enough yesterday, instead detouring back into the Gallatin National Forest and camping out near Hyalite Lake with about half of Montana's residents as well. But Sadie and I got a primitive campground, which did not cost us $13 and screaming kids next door.

This morning we started the 5.5-mile o/w Hyalite Lake trail at 8am, being one of the first ones at the lake. Three young men were ahead of us. We conquered three-feet snow mounds after the fourth mile and steep inclines toward the end, but Sadie was a real champ. Her confidence on the trail has blossomed tremendously on the trail since our roadtrip.

Twelve waterfalls accompanied us the entire time, all unique in their own splendor. The switchbacks took us 3.5 hours, with a 15-minute break just before the steepest climb. And climb we did, using hands and feet to scramble up steep cliffs since the trail was covered in snow.

And there we rested, above 9000' with a few 10,000-feet peaks around us. Plans to climb Hyalite Peak (10,033) were quickly dashed once I got to the lake as the trail was under snow, and I wasn't going to put Sadie under more strain although she didn't seem bothered at all. In fact, she frolicked in the snow, encouraging play with me despite my wet and muddy pants occassionally getting stuck in foot-deep of mud. Snow was melting and causing more snowmelt to gush downstream under the snow.

We could see the horseshoe bend canyon below, but storm clouds were moving in from the north. We left the lake at noon as more young couples were clammering uphill, many in shorts and running shoes (!) while I wore my trusted Gortex Montrails.

Twelve people were behind me as the thunderstorms came in, and we barely made it back to the van when the rain really began to fall. Most Montanans seemed undisturbed by the rain, but was glad I was dry (albeit smelly and sweaty) in my van. The temperature at 2:30pm was a mere 53F, warming up ten degrees when I hit the valley, turned on USHwy 191 and headed to Big Sky for the night.

Dinner tonight was protein-enriched at th Big Sky Brewery in the floosy resort town of Big Sky where a 3% "resort tax" was added to the bill. I sipped the Belgian White wheat beer. Wheat beer is still my favorite after a strenuous 11-mile hike.

I was able to write these notes in the brewery and check my email. Sad news from mom: Manfred, her cousin, died yesterday from his cancer. Allegedly his last moments were quite painful. No one should have to die in pain. People should be able to decide for themselves when they can die with dignity.

No comments:

Post a Comment