Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Farmington, NM


With Sadie sound asleep in the back of the van, and with a few hours of daylight still available, I decided to drive into Farmington, NM. I got on USHwy 550 and went south. At 6:48pm I was in the "Land of Enchantment" and boy, what enchantment that was! I have seen beautiful sections of New Mexico (Taos, Rajon Pass, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Cloud Croft, Silver Sity) but this part of New Mexico was not part of that.

This was perhaps one of the poorest routes into the state, with the mountains giving way to eroded, crumbly juniper-studded buttes all around, eroded pick-ups and run-down businesses along the way.

I had entered the edge of Navajo Nation.

All was not lost, though. Driving into Farmington I saw a sign for the "3Rivers Brewery and Restaurant" and although I wasn't in the mood for a beer, I stopped in to sample a few and to order dinner. The head brewer, Bob, was behind the counter as he passionately talked me into trying a few in one-ounce tasters. They were all good beers, but with my destination still undecided for the night, I was cautious about ordering any alcohol. I was, however, hungry and ordered a spicy chicken burrito that can be made only in the Southwest, with a tangy jest.

Next to me sat a chatty environmental engineer from Tulsa, Lee, who was here for an oil-gas conference. He is the second environmental engineer I've met in a brewpub. Again, the topic of the Cap and Trade policy was brought forward, and a hearty discussion ensued. I was actually agreeing with him but in order to get the "other side" I always enjoy posing pensive questions

In the end we both agreed that new changes must happen for the environment, but the gas and oil companies are going to pass their expenses down to the consumers. Are we ready to spend more money for gasoline, in an economy that has yet to show true improvement out of the recession?

When Bob noticed that Lee and I were in full chat, he left to talk to another customer. My chicken burrito was quite good but I drank water throughout our conversation. I was in a new town and didn't want to drive with beer in me through foreign terrain.

Lee was full of jest. Tall, bald and with a constant smile, he knew how to talk his issues. Yes, he said, change in environmental polices must happen, but the ones currently proposed come at a bad time. The average increase per family will be $1600, and all this during a recession? Not good timing.

Lee, like me, has been to many of the national parks and regions. But his family was back in Tulsa while he was at this conference. At 9pm we both had been chatting for quite a while when we parted, he back to his hotel east of town and me still in search of a place to camp.

I found a place outside of town, near a sign that read "Jesus is Watching You" which stood next to a sign proclaiming "Adult Videos."

No comments:

Post a Comment