Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Home

It got hot fast this morning as I left Silver City and headed into Hildago County, New Mexico's boot heel and least-visited county. Here the mountains looked dry and desolate, and except for the Chiricahua Peaks into Arizona, the rest of the terrain looked dry, too. Where were the monsoonal rains? I was expecting green grass but instead saw dead grass everywhere.

I also saw my first US Border Patrol vehicles again. Their white-and-green colors resemble National Park Service vehicles.

I skipped the hike. By 8am it was already 81F and I just wanted to get home, unpack, shower, and start gardening.

I got home between 10 and 11am. The dogs were ecstatic to see me. Sadie immediately went into hiding when she saw Sara and hid in the bedroom for most of the day.

And I? I was tired. I washed two loads of clothes, did some de-weeding, watering and checking out the garden (I still have strawberries coming up!) but refused to go on any walks. Today was a de-winding sort of day.

I wanted to nap but there was too much to get done, stuff that will take a few weeks to finish. The garden doesn't look so bad at all and the front yard's looking great. My acacia are looking healthy and strong.

It took my computer over two hours to download all 8551 photographs I have taken, and it's going to take me even longer to edit, enhance etc them and place some of them in this blog. That may take me the rest of the summer break!

Kevin came home shortly after 5pm. It was nice to talk with him again, as he showed me the garden and his proud turnip section. (He loves beets and turnips). He didn't notice that one of our Fuji apple trees had died, along with my Turkey fig tree. That was my third fig tree to die; my backyard is doomed to have one fig tree grow!)

The birds had eaten all the apricots off the tree. Grr. And we have a small grub problem in one area that will need some treatment soon. I don't want another beetle infestation come August like last summer!

Kevin updated me on other things. "Starting next month Arizona's state income tax goes up another four percent, until the end of the year."
"FOUR PERCENT?" was my reaction. "Well, Governor Jane Brewer got her wish, she wanted a tax increase..." But why such a large increase at once? Geeez. When Republicans want taxes, they want taxes!
"And Gary (one of Kevin's co-workers) is retiring at the end of August." Gary always provided for some comedic relief for Kevin when they'd toil on some construction project.
"Susan's mother died yesterday" Susan is Kevin's ex-wife. The death wasn't completely a surprise, as she had been ailing recently.
"There was another vehicle roll-over full of illegals down the street."
"I saw that on the paper's website yesterday," I replied. That incident was off Miller Canyon and the highway, about a mile away on my walking trail.
Kevin also updated me on the neighbors. The house across the street, now a rental, is overgrown with tumbleweed and desert broom. The renter has done nothing for the upkeep.
"You should see the backyard!" said Kevin.
And then the neighbors to our immediate west, who moved in shortly after Ron left for Alabama, may be moving sooner than expected. "I talk to the son Danny all the time. He said they are already $400 behind in rent. The mom's been fined a few times already and they may get evicted soon." said Kevin.
"Damn, that house is haunted!" I replied, referring to all the renters we have seen come and go over the last five years. Before Ron and Nancy moved in last June there were three drug dealers next door who would throw their beer bottles behind their garage next to our fence. I've yet to meet our current neighbors there.
"Cops are out ticketing drivers, so be careful around the construction zone," he went on, referring to the road-widening project on Highway 92 south of town. The odd thing is that I seldom see construction workers there despite the pileons and orange warning signs to slow down to 35mph.
"Looks like the police department is short of cash and needs this revenue" I commented.
"Tommy counted seven cops between here and Tucson a few days ago" he replied.
"That could also indicate a special operation, to catch drug or human smugglers here; profiling DOES work!" I answered back.

The rest of the evening we chatted, I talked briefly about my family's updates in Indiana and of some of the highlights of my trip. Looking back over the photos I must say that Montana, Yellowstone and Moab have provided me with the best photographs yet.

Tomorrow I register for the fall semester. Reality will set in.

No comments:

Post a Comment