Monday, July 20, 2009

Heading home

Now that I got to do my Whitewater Baldy hike, I have nothing else to do in Silver City, NM. It's a three-hour drive home but I'll wait for the morning now. My last stop will be to scout out a trail on the eastern slopes of the Dos Cabezas Mountains south of Bowie, AZ. It's another hike I want to lead for the club next month.

I've driven 7667 miles so far since leaving Indiana and 12493 miles since leaving Arizona over two months ago. And despite the many in-and-around mileage I still managed to stay below my budget.

But that may change as I desperately need new brake pads, a tire alignment, an oil change and a new light bulb for my rear left turn signal. The light burned out a few days ago, my brakes have been squealing since leaving Big Horn National Forest in Wyoming (although the squealing didn't get loud until leaving Colorado) and my "change oil" warning light has been beeping for the last 3000 miles.

My friend Dave is getting married 15 August in Alexandria, VA. As soon as I get home and get registered for the fall semester, I will check airline fares for five days...I definitely plan on visiting some old hiking friends in New Jersey and possibly New York when I am there! I'd love to take an entire week but college starts on the 16th and I may have four busy courses this time.

Based on the local newspaper, illegal immigrants continue to make headlines. As if that is even news anymore. The monsoon hasn't been that good this year, either. I noticed it last week myself. I was expecting stormy weather once in New Mexico, but the summer rains have been slow.
http://www.svherald.com/articles/2009/07/21/news/doc4a6579e1a8917192463039.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment