Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Weather















If you want to strike up a conversation with a stranger, bring up the weather.

"Mom, the weather is so unpredictable here. One day it's hot and sunny, the next day it's rainy and cold!" said Erin to me last week. She's been right.

Carol said this has been an unseasonably cold and wet May this year, perhaps much like that record-breaking May of 1984 (or was it 1983?) when I came to visit family from college for Memorial Day and wore flannel shirts to keep warm?

Clouds again are looking dark "with a morning shower possible" according to local TV forecasts. I may be able to sneak in a hike on Wednesday...but even then the trails will be wet and muddy no matter where I hike in the woods.
The only rain in the entire nation, it seems, has been hovering over Chicagoland and Indiana since my arrival here. I shouldn't be too surprised; May is traditionally Indiana's wettest month.

In Arizona, May and June are the driest. And interestingly enough, Helena, MT reached 90F yesterday. The entire Pac Northwest has been experiencing a heat wave. I may be ready for some heat after another wet and cold week ahead at this rate...but only for a day or two before I miss the cool climate of the lakefront!

No comments:

Post a Comment