Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bloomington, IN





























Sharon and I planned a day trip to Bloomington today, where we met 25 years ago. An hour's drive from her house, we roamed the gently rolling hills south on IN37 into town.

The university was founded in 1820 as the Indiana Seminary. It has since grown in size. Summer classes are in session now and some students are taking courses, but we didn't have the mass motion of students on bikes or cellphones racing past us.

I didn't recognize a thing. There has been so much development I ddn't know where I was. None of my hang-outs on Walnut Avenue were there. The old Big Wheel restaurant is now a Steak and Shake. The Gold Rush is now a Colorado Outback and even Ladyman's in town, an old staple from the 1950s, was standing bare.

Even people who didn't go to Indiana University have got to love this place with its limestone buildings, rolling hills and diverse flowers. We parked at the courthouse and walked east on Kirkwood Avenue. Kilroy's and Nick's English Hut are still around, the Trojan Horse still sits at the corner, and the corner lot Italian place are still there. Everything else is new stuff for the younger generation.

What I did like were the additional flower arrangements around buildings. I don't remember the flowers but I do remember the many green plants everywhere, and today was no exception. And if it was going to rain we could easily duck into a building for shelter.

We walked passed the Student Union, Ballentine Hall, along the wooden pedestrian bridge toward Jordan Street, around the theater, rec building and arboretum. We came out on 10th street near my old Ashton Center dorm and walked from 10th street back to downtown. This was almost a four-mile hike and it took us 90 minutes. Sadie rested in the van while we finished off with a lunch at the Trojan Horse.

I ordered an Upland Brew Wheat that stood flat. It had an off taste and because Sharon does not drink, I didn't order any more beers nor wanted to try out another brew at another brewpub. This will give me an excuse to come back another time, perhaps next week with Eric is he so wants to come down here as well.

I don't know anyone in B-ton anymore. Even the multi-floor Hilton Hotel in the town center seemed out of place. In fact, more hotels are lining the main streets which means more alumni are coming here for weekend get-aways.

There is no doubt that Bloomington is a nice town. I could have stayed here after graduation, but it was from this town that I joined the army ions ago and left, never to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment