Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Moline, Kansas and Judy
















If Kansas is truly America's Heartland then I met all the hearts today in Moline.
I parked outside the Crooked Creek Lodge and restaurant in Moline. The building looked like my old elementary school, with its window air conditioner units and single floor. But Heather, the waitress inside, said this was once a nursing home. The interior was nicely laid out. The place looked like a wonderful place to hang out with locals.

I had arrived early in town, so since I didn't want to drop in on Judy too early (I had told her I'd be in her town "late afternoon"), I stayed at the lodge for an hour working on my email and blog. At 3:30pm I finally called and learned that she was only four blocks away, in a one-acre corner lot with the only flagpole in town.

Her sisters were over for a week-long reunion: Donna, the oldest, Mary, Marty. Marty flew in from southwestern Washington state and wore a green Yellowstone t-shirt. The sisters were outside playing botchi ball, and after learning the game I played a few rounds and even won a few. Sadie chased after a few of the balls (endearing herself to everyone) and soon I felt part of the family. We were strangers at first but left as friends by the end of the evening.

Judy prepared a delicious shrimp fetuccini with salad and fruit dip. I was hungry and this meal was awesome, as I sat gathered with all the sisters and John, Donna's husband.
"Connie stopped in on her way to Chicago" said Judy.
"I love to travel" I explained, adding that I've been wanting to visit Judy since returning from Iraq. "On my way back to Arizona I'm detouring to Montana as I've never been there"
"So this is like a Bucket List?" asked John. And for a split second my mind crashed: What if this were?
Sadie sat near the table but did not beg. She had the shrimp tails later and as far as I know, that was all she ate all day. She simply isn't a big eater and her thin frame is an indicator. She never did touch her dry food I brought along.

Judy and siblings lived in Salina most of their lives, but then moved to Hays later on before they married and moved on. Another sister, Dorothy, died last year of renal carcinoma and another brother died of that earlier. It's a tight family and everyone gets along. Like Marty told me later on "I feel sorry for those who only have one or two siblings" as she grew up with a large family all her life.

Judy and I talked a little about our time in Baghdad, where we met, and she still got teary-eyed when talking about co-workers who were shot or killed by the enemy there. She actually lost a few close friends there; I did not. Tonight I was more a listener than a talker. I learned some secrets tonight about Moline, including the "meth heads" in town who burn up abandoned homes. A home was recently raided by Kansas cops and the German shepherd dog that was constantly chained up outside the meth house was shot and killed before the cops could raid the home.

"That dog didn't deserve to die" said Donna. "That was a good dog. It was those meth heads the cops should have killed!"

It was refreshing and much-needed not to drive far today (43 miles) and to take time to visit with people. Weather was cool today but not hot. If it weren't for the slight time restraint I imposed on myself getting out here, I would have spent two more days inbetween Roswell and Fort Sill, perhaps even visiting more around Oklahoma. But I told my kids that I would be in Chicagoland before this coming weekend.

Tomorrow morning I am getting up early with Judy, who works at the Crooked Creek Lodge. Her shift starts at 6am. I want to be on my way by then as well, as my next route is across Missouri on Highway 54 to Lake of the Ozarks and finally to Jefferson City. According to yahoo it's 345 miles. That means more like 445 miles when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment