Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thanksgiving

I had planned on spending the holiday alone with the dogs and taking them down to the river.  But then last week Ellen invited me to her parent's house again and I said yes.  I enjoyed my time with them last year and this year was much of the same, only better.  I picked up around the front yard and left for the get-together at 2:40pm.


I made sure I didn't eat too much, though.  I had a modest serving of dark turkey meat, spinach, and Becca's excellent gravy.  I did a lot of talking this time, at times feeling that I was controlling the dialogue.  Usually I listen more than talk, but tonight I was in fine form.  Ellen's dad Jerry was a pastor after he retired from the Navy and his listening skills are excellent.  His fine sense of humor and his positive thinking also help people relax.


Ellen and I walked around the neighborhood to admire the lighted homes decked out in Christmas lights.  By the end of the month the entire street will be a tourist drive-through, but tonight it was just a few stand-out homes.  It felt good to walk out in the crisp, cool air and to wish other passers-by a joyous holiday. 



I didn't get back home until 8:30pm to a very quiet and dark neighborhood, lighted only by a 3/4 moon.

I had locked my keys inside the truck earlier.  Now I have to set aside a call for AAA to get my truck door open.  Just great.

No comments:

Post a Comment