Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Canada del Oro multi-use path

 I have been wanting to start to walk this 21-mile path that travels from northwest Tuscon to Oro Valley. It follows the wash by the same name. It's part of the greater Tucson network of multi-use paved routes.  The acronym is "the CDO."


Getting there took me longer.  I had the truck full of cardboard for a much-needed recycling run but didn't leave until 2pm with Gretel, hitting Tucson during rush hour.  That slowed me down.  I had originally wanted to hike part of the Sweetwater Preserve, but Google said the park closed at 5pm and one hour wan't enough for hiking.  Sunset is at 5:20pm now and that area is not advisable for nightitme hiking.


So I chose the Canada del Oro trail which is on my bucket list anyway, but getting there was tricky.  I finally found a parking area off Thornydale Road at 5:11pm.  Sunset was already in progress but I was determined to make it to the next parking area 1.8 miles away, the Christina Taylor Green Memorial River Park, across from the northwest campus of Pima College.  That campus is rather impressive for a community college.


Christina was one of six people killed on January 8, 2011 when Representative Gabby Gifford was shot by a crazed gunman. She luckily survived, but has permanent but minor brain damage. Eighteen more were injured.  Gabby was only eight years old.  She loved nature.  It makes sense to dedicate a park to a young girl's life.  

It was already too dark to see detail of the park, but I will definitely be back soon to walk more of this path.


I like traveling with Gretel.  She's quiet and very tolerant.  She sat in the back of the cab covered with cardboard and not once whined. She walks well on leash until she sees something to chase.  Today it was a coyote in the wash.  I had just let her off leash.  Luckily she came back to me and stayed on her leash even as it got dark on the return walk.  Another dead coyote was right off the path.

The walk was only 3.42 miles long (round-trip), but the air was cool and refreshing.  Tucson, being lower in altitude than Sierra Vista, doesn't get those cold nights once the sun sets like Sierra Vista does.  I walked at a fast pace without any additional jacket and never got chilled.

I finished the adventure with a meal at El Molinito off Ina Road.  It showed up as the closest Mexican restaurant to the parking area and I was hungry.  If I'm going to try every Mexican restaurant in Tucson for Yelp!  (ha!), this spot was a good choice.  I sat at the bar, ordered chicken enchiladas (excellent sauce!), chatted a bit with another solo diner at the bar, then drove home. The Yelp reviews add up to 2.9 out of 5; I think that rating is grossly underrated as I enjoyed my tasty meal and the price was reasonable.


I'm looking forward to walking more of the Canada del Oro.  The massive views walking north toward the Catalina mountains is quite invigorating.  The only downside is the long drive to the parking areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment