Saturday, May 13, 2023

Hunter Canyon ridgeline bushwhack

 I enjoy local hikes of llittle-used trails.  This hike included hiking up the ridgeline starting in Lower Hunter Canyon by the main parking area and ascending to the high point before descending to the pass and returning via the trail.  This hike was officially led by DougB of the hiking club

I was running late meeting the rest of the group and drove straight to the Hunter Canyon parking area where everyone else was already assembled:  DougB, SteveA, SteveS, JimA, RyanD, JohnS, Miles and An Ye.  I brought Gretel along and she did well, even when I took her off leash going up the ridgeline.


It was already warm at 6:30pm, starting at 61F. with sunny skies above.  We took off in the parking lot and walked the first half mile on the Perimeter Trail extension before cutting off from the trail and heading uphill.  JohnS elected to walk on the Perimeter trail a bit longer before bushwhacking to the high point.


Kevin and I had explored this ridgeline when we first got here, taking Sara and Sammy to the first hilltop before descending.  There was a lot of migrant trash then.  While we did see migrant trash today, most of it was sunbleached and weather-worn and not newly-discarded.  A faint footpath from the high point was our guide.


The terrain here is steep, loose, and full of animal holes and covered by tall grass.  I have to watch my step as I trip easily.  It's not my favorite hiking terrain, but the views today were worth it.  Gretel stayed by my side. SteveA dropped out near the top and opted to descend down to the trail.


We took a break at the high point at 6375'.  I ate a tamale and Gretel had her canned of chicken stew. https://www.strava.com/activities/9065408203

The walk back to the parking area was much faster once we hit the official Hunter Canyon trail.  We came upon SteveA and JohnS when we reached the intersection to Kelly Springs.  No one wanted to check out the Springs (there's a water trough on the way there that Gretel would have enjoyed), so we just charged on back to the parking area


The hike took us just under four hours.  I was thirsty, hungry and sweaty.  Doug, Ryan and SteveS agreed to have lunch at the PitStop, and I joined them.  I was last there for my birthday earlier this year and liked the meal.  I dropped Gretel off at home and joined them ten minutes later.  We were one of three tables inside.


I had a Mushroom Swisscheese burger with fries, the same meal I had last time.  The fries are now thicker and not quite as crispy (I like my fries crispy brown), but it was still a good meal.

I rested back at home for a few hours, then stopped by Susan's place with Gretchen by 4pm.  She needed a chance to run off leash without barriers.  It was 85F outside.


Gretchen seemed a bit unsure of where we were going.  I don't stop by Susan's as often as Allie is getting too old for the dogs to romp around.  When the two dogs met, Allie's haunches raised, but she soon remembered that Gretchen is a friend.  Gretchen wanted to play, but after a while was content just being close by her side.  The one dog she did play rough with is the Great Dane next door, Zeus.  


We ended up chatting until just before 11pm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment