Saturday, May 20, 2023

Brown Canyon out-and-back

This was a last-minute hike I joined with the help of Susan, who reminded me of this event.  It was hosted by Craig from the local meetup group.  We were a group of 11 people and two dogs.  I took Gretel.


I like Brown Canyon, but the  trail has gotten badly eroded from mountain bikes. Not too many riders were out today, though.  Today's hike was out-and-back to the water trough, 5.6 miles.


I stayed with Susan, but also chatted with Janet, Laurie, Dennis and a few others.  By the end of the hike and in the parking lot, I realized that people are looking to me to host full moon hikes.  I guess that has become my niche.



 Gretel has become a good hiker but was a bit aggressive toward the other dog, Taffy, a Pomeranian mix.  Taffy had attacked Zeke a few years ago.  Bob the owner was apologetic.  I didn't want Gretel to harm her, either, so we kept our distance.  I kept her onleash for all but one mile. 


After the hike I went home to start sorting through the recycables for drive to Tucson.  Susan invited me to drop off Gretchen at her place, and once there, discovered that the Yelp event I had planned on attending was only until noon every day.  Well shoot.  Looks like my next chance will be next weekend. I have until May 31st to review a taqueria. I'll leave early and make it a day-long event.


I ended up staying at Susan's until just after 5pm, then drove with Gretchen to Bisbee to try out the Taqueria Outlaw restaurant on Main Street.  I got front door parking.  Gretchen stayed in the Honda, but kept her eyes on the front door.  It was a cool 65F when I left to drive back.

Our cloudy and rainy week has come to an end.  No more rain is forecasted for the next ten days.  The San Pedro river is running low.

No comments:

Post a Comment