Sunday, May 7, 2023

Bisbee 1000

Looks like these early Sunday walks are becoming a routine.I like early Sunday hikes but I hate getting up at 4:30am to walk Gretchen and Fritz before leaving for a few hours.

Today I went dogless.  This helped Bill and me to walk a fast 1:48 hours, even though I felt tired. I only went dogless because I didn't want to fight the dogs wanting to push out the front door.  Sahne would have enjoyed this walk, and I had initially hoped to take her.  But that was not to be.


The streets are barren so early in the morning.  It's odd to see Bisbee so quiet. We saw a few dog walkers, a few homeless people, but we didn't see the tourists until we drove off in our separate vehicles after 8am. There were signs in Brewery Gulch advertising "Hippie Hertitage Festival" for this weekend.  Sunday's activities didn't begin until noon, though, and perhaps the town was still hung over from Saturday's musical events.


I never took my yellow sweater off on today's walk, even after the sun came up over the Mule mountains.  It was 60F when we finished, but I felt a chill the entire time.  My backpack was leaking water and the dampness didn't help against my back.  Next time I'll leave the pack in the truck as I never needed water.


I know the route of the Bisbee 1000 by heart, but twice we almost walked past our stairs because we were deep in conversation.  "I can't walk and talk at the same time!" I apologized to Bill.

We noticed many signs all throughout town of Sparky the Javelina, warning about keeping one's property fire safe.  These signs weren't up two weeks ago.



I had a breakfast of biscuits and gravy at the Mornings Cafe in Warren after the walk, away from the touristy Old Bisbee.  I got top-notch service and was seated at a booth, even though I would have been quite fine sitting at the counter. I don't like taking up an entire table for myself when others are waiting.

Everyone always raves about the Bisbee Breakfast Club, which is good, but there is always a waiting list and the prices are higher.    This smaller Mornings Cafe is a cute little diner popular with the locals.  I still have so many local taquerias, cafes and diners to try out locally.  Today's breakfast gets a B+.

I witnessed a group of six or more USBP, SVPD and Cochise County deputies parked off Hereford Road on my drive home.  Looks like they were looking for an escaped illegal border crosser.  Such is life at the border.


And then in the early evening a prefab home a block from me required several fire trucks.  They roared by during my evening walk with the dogs.  I didn't see any smoke but fire fighters were there a good while.




No comments:

Post a Comment