Friday, May 5, 2023

Full moon hike along the South Perimeter trail

 This was the Flower Moon.

I had been wanting to lead a hike along ths trail for a full moon, just to see how the trail is after dark.  I posted this hike two weeks ago.  Three others showed up (and three others had to bow out) 


We met at 6pm at the Lower Miller Canyon parking area.  I like this spot as a meetup because it has a large parking area and a bathroom.  Annette, Karen and Travis were already there when I drove up at 5:53pm.  Susan said she'd be there, but never showed up.  We took off shortly, taking the unmarked trail toward the Foothills housing area, before cutting due south along the trail.  The sutn was out, but we were in the cool shade the whole time.


Shortly after we crossed Miller Creek,I let Hansel off his leash.  He did very well from the start, staying close to me.  Only twice did he break decorum and chase after a deer, but he came back when I called him.

We had a good pace.  I tend to not stop much unless Hansel needs a drink.  The elevation on this hike is only 600' at the turn-around just before descending into Hunter Canyon, but then it rises again once the trail climbs up Hunter Canyon to the pass into Miller Canyon.  This is a hike I'd like to do as well.


We stopped at the last hill before the trail descends into Hunter Canyon.  We stopped for a bit, drank some water, and then resumed our return hike.  The wind quickly picked up.  I'm glad I wore not only my yellow puffer vest but also that I threw on an additional thin sweater

The orange ball rose to our southeast a half-mile into our return hike.  It looked big, too.  We stopped many times to take photos, but it got too dark for detail in that last mile.  

Annette was with me up front and Travis stayed with Karen just behind us.  Annette talked loudly the entire time.  She was telling me how her high school sweetheart died back in 2002 of stomach cancer.  She's been a widow ever since.


The hike was 5.5 miles long.  We were on the trail for 2.5 hours.  We all went our separate ways once we got back to the parking lot.  I went home to walk Fritz and Gretchen another block around the hood.



No comments:

Post a Comment