Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Tinker Pond

 My plan was to meet some friends from the local hiking MeetUp to walk up Garden Canyon, but instead of just one dog rushing out the door, three pulled through.  I couldn't in good faith take all three.  I know Hansel and Sahne would be ok around other dogs, but Gretel lately has been unpredictable.  So I changed my plans and took them to Tinker Pond.  This way all three could run free without bothering anyone.


I hadn't been near Tinker Pond since January 2021 with Susan, when we hiked the ridgeline.  The trails are all still there, some more eroded than others.  Looks like the post is trying to dig a ditch parallel to the main trail to prevent further erosion.  One can drive to Tinker Pond in a high-clearance 4X4 vehicle, but anything lower than that would be troublesome.


There was water running in the drainage and all three dogs took advantage of that.  The hillsides looked dry despite the rain and snow from last month.  Even Tinker pond was low.  And there were no wild flowers.  At least trees are leafing out again.  Spring is here!


It's still a pleasant walk though.  I sat by the pond for other 30 minutes to allow the dogs to run around, but even they were eager to get going and kept nudging me to move on.


I diverted from the usual route and added a short loop up to a rocky ridge with views into Garden Canyon.  I had been up here years before with the dogs, but had continued up toward the cliffs.  An overgrown trail I was following had suddenly disappeared, forcing me to walk on the rocky ridge,  

 

We hiked 4.76 miles in just under three hours.

We stopped at the Middle Pond afterwards so that the dogs could enjoy the cool water one last time.


https://www.strava.com/activities/8714706796

I wanted to stop at Fry's foods to get the dogs raw meat, but was told that the credit card system was down and only cash was accepted.  Luckily this was only applicable to Fry's, as I was able to gas up and have lunch at McD's instead, where I got the dogs 20 nuggets.  I know it's not as nutritious as raw chicken, but I knew they were hungry.  They were also tired and didn't mind resting in the truck when I went to the backyard. 


No comments:

Post a Comment