Monday, March 13, 2023

The Loop: the last three miles of the Harrison Greenway

 My plan today included three things: drop off the aluminum cans in Tucson, complete a quick Yelp review for a popcorn shop, and ask a TruckOutfitter if they have any new or used truck caps for the Ridgeline.

I left at 11am with Fritz.

I only got $6.70 for the cans.  That money paid for the lunch later.


It was already in the upper 70s as I drove to the popcorn store, stopping twice to photograph two Joe Pagac murals on Grant Road.  The shop was very small so I took everything to go.

My one disappointment was being told that truck caps for my Ridgeline are no longer being made, due to the age of the vehicle, but that I should try Phoenix.  A second Pagac mural was next door to the shop so I photographed that one as well.


I stopped at Borderlands to let Fritz cool off in the taproom,  I was only there an hour but it was now past 5pm. I realized I had enough time to walk the last three miles of the Harrison Greenway. I stopped at a small Mexican taco shop for two chicken street tacos.


I lost some time driving to the wrong trailhead, heading to Kolb Road when I should have gone to Rita Road. The sun was 30 minutes from setting so I had to walk fast -- and I did-- as the Loop officially closes at dusk.


The first 1.5 miles walking north from the eastern Julian Wash terminus was on a standard sidewalk right next to the street.  This was not a quiet, dedicated multi-use path.  Cars were driving past us going 40+ miles per hour.


It was now officially dark when I got to the Harrison Greenway at Nexus Road.  The path turns straight north at Mesquite Elementary school. I let Fritz off leash so he could have at least one mile of running.  I don't worry about him taking off on me. Military planes from the air base were landing and taking off, but there was no other action.  I never came across another person on this fast walk.


I recognized the palo verde tree where I turned around the last time.  This tree was right at the three-mile mark. 

The six miles took me 90 minutes.  Now the last two miles are at the Tucson Mall, where I first walked the Loop with Sadie in 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment