Friday, February 3, 2023

My stepdad was buried today

 I've had a sore throat all week.  I never thought anything of it as it would disappear by the time I got to school.  Today, however, the sore throat turned into a runny nose, and then in the afternoon into a sneezing fit. I went to bed as soon as I got home, thankful for the start of the weekend.

I never forgot that today was my stepdad's funeral in Culver, at the family church cemetery on the south side of town.  This is where he wanted to be buried, next to his parents Forest and Mildred Curtis.  He had already reserved his slot.

I couldn't attend the funeral for a variety of reasons, but throughout the day I wondered how things were going for those who were in attendance, like my daughter Erin.  She and my ex-husband Tim had always enjoyed having "Grandpa Curtis" around, even if in his last few years he became set in his ways and would only go to a few select restaurants in NW Indiana.


Erin sent me the first few photos in the early evening.  There were some nice group shots of all of his children, and one with Erin and Sharon, who was my bride's maid at my first wedding to Tim.  She certainly hasn't aged in all these years!

My brother Jason, according to Erin, cried during the ceremony.  He was always close to his father, but also felt less valued as a son because he didn't become a lawyer or doctor like Michael or Stephen had.  Nonetheless, as the oldest son he was the recipient of the flag after the military funeral with the words


“On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Air Force, and a grateful nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one’s honorable and faithful service.” 

I had to recite those words a few times when I was the NCO in charge of military funerals in New Jersey and those words would get me choked up, too.

Jason is in my thoughts but I respect his need for privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment