Friday, February 24, 2023

Fritz and Gretchen at it again

 It has been a cold week.  I kept the dogs in the RV until I came home from school.  I couldn't let them suffer in the 40-degree cold, but now they needed a good run after a week of in-house suspension.

After school today I took Fritz and Gretchen down to the LDS camp to walk the 2-25-mile loop counter-clockwise.  It was muddy from the recent rains.  The dogs were running all over the fields, then would run back to the river to splash around.  I enjoy watching them revel in their freedom, but always worry about them taking off.

A single adult javelina began chasing me a mile into the loop.  He was coming from behind.  I called Fritz for help, and together he and his sister chased the beast away.  This is exactly why I have my dogs off leash most of the time, because they can better defend me. They chased the animal away, but then they, too, didn't come back.

Not again, I thought.  This time I should have known better not to have Gretchen off-leash!  Again I stayed by the truck until dark, but this area is not a safe place after dark with it being so close to the border and it being a popular pick-up place for border crossers.

I drove around the dark streets calling out their names.  I even stopped briefly to talk to two Border Patrol agents parked down Border Road, but this time I went home more angry at myself than the dogs.

I will have to go back out in the morning to find them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment