Sunday, February 12, 2023

Hiking the Perimeter extension south from Miller to Hunter Canyon

This hike at 12:45 was Susan's idea.  She had been lacking any strenuous hikes lately since Allie's joints keep her from walking much; the old walks we used to do along the river are short jaunts now for the old dog.  She wanted to get a good hike in with friends and she likes this trail.

It was also Super Bowel 57, the Kansas City Chiefs playing against the Philadelphia Eagles and I had a lot to do before the hike.  I'm not a football fan, but it seems the rest of the country is and I have to follow along. 

The morning started out warmer than yesterday. Fritz and Gretchen and Sweetie got their loop walk around the neighborhood at 8am.  At 10am I took Hansel and Sahne with me into town to wash two loads of laundry.

The laundromat was busy!  Was everyone trying to wash clothes before the big game started at 4:30pm? I was there for over two hours, and went directly to the meet-up at the lower Miller Canyon parking lot.

The parking lot was crowded. A big RV was parked in the lot and looked like it was camping there.  Several cars with bike racks were lined up. Everyone who was supposed to meet was already there, so we took off as soon as I got the two dogs ready.  

We were a group of five:  Susan, Holly, Laurie, David and me. Holly brought her little pug Lilly with her and that little dog kept up with the rest of us.  Hansel and Sahne left Lilly alone after the initial sniff test and stayed close to me.  I was up front, Holly stayed in back and this way all the dogs were happy.  German Shepherd Dogs can be intimidating toward smaller dogs.

It was in the mid 60s and breezy.  I still prefer this kind of weather over the weather the Great Lakes is having right now, with daytime highs in the mere 40s.

We went a little farther this time on the trail (and I felt a lot better), stopping at the 3.5-mile spot to rest, feed and water the dogs, and then turn around.  One of these days I'll hike the big loop from Miller to Hunter and then up over the pass.  That would be a ten-mile hike.

We kept a good pace. The hike took us three hours and we only came across two separate cyclists.  Holly and Laurie stayed in the rear and I was up front with David and Susan, and Hansel and Sahne.

The dogs were tired when we got back to the truck.  Neither dog had hiked in a while.  Even Susan told me that both dogs "have filled out" since she saw them.  Both dogs slept quietly in the truck overnight, as winds began to pick up.  We're back to cold weather tomorrow.

The Chiefs won the Super Bowel 38-34.  I didn't even watch the commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment