Sunday, February 5, 2023

A short trip into Bisbee

 I think I exerted myself in Tucson.I woke up feeling exhausted, perhaps from the 12 miles, perhaps from not drinking enough water.  It was another warmer-than-usual morning that smelled of spring.  I had to get out and do something.  I took Fritz along.


I called SteveT and we agreed to head out to Bisbee to walk the stairs.  The stairs are a popular Bisbee attraction and there's even an annual event to honor these old and crumbly stairs, the Bisbee1000, and it's every third Saturday in October. Unfortunately, I totally miscalculated how out of shape I am right now. I had no energy today. I want to blame it on my recent recovery of a cold and yesterday's grand walking mileage.  I also didn't have a hat to cover my thin hair and was quickly warmed.  Fritz was, too.  Even Superheroes need days off and today was definitely my need to be off.  We barely walked two of the 4.6 miles of the original course through town before calling it quits.


We stopped at the Old Bisbee Brewing company for our traditional post-hike beer.  Steve kept his dog Trace in his van and I should have done the same with Fritz.  While he was fine at first as he rested in the shade, the upstairs sundeck quickly got crowded.  He's fine around people, but other dogs still get him nervous. 

I invited one older man, Terry, to join us at our table as I could tell he had no place to sit as he got up to the deck and looked around for an empty table.  He was grateful for the invite and immediately started talking  We had an interesting conversation (well, he did most of the talking) about life in both Arizona and Sonora, and cultural differences between the two countries.  Terry was quite the conversationalist as he bragged about knowing some of the mafiosi in Mexico.  He recommended the guide "There's a word for it in Mexico" to brush up on Mexican slang. https://www.mexconnect.com/articles/817-there-s-a-word-for-it-in-mexico/


But then a young couple with two big dogs sat at the table next to us.

That was too close for comfort for Fritz and I sensed his nervousness.  He sat up from his nap and was shaking in fear as one of the two dogs got too close to us.  I had to move closer to Fritz and calm him down, rubbing his shoulders and behind his ears as a vet tech once showed me.  When we left I held him close on the leash as we walked back down the stairs and outside, but it was barely outside when Fritz took a swipe at Steve's hand and broke skin.


What caused that?  I can only blame that on Fritz's nervousness.  I now realize I need to keep a closer look on him and keep him muzzled in crowded situations, and review my dog reactivity videos. Ideally, I should have let him chill in the truck, but I was parked 0.3 miles away and I like to have close observation of my dogs when they are inside my vehicles. If I can afford professional training for Fritz this summer, I will do that.  As well as reinforce the chain link fence in the front yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment